Hey, please help me out....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Prelude Ed, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Prelude Ed

Prelude Ed Guest

i have posted this before before the Sport bike category got deleted and i cant find any of the old posts.

anyway....

I have about $4k to spend on a bike. I have never ridden before and i am takign MSF course May 3rd. I would like to get a bike before then and just hold it so i can start right away when im dont with course.

After listenign to some advice, i have decided that gettign a new bike would not be in my best interests. I am basically goign to try and get a used 600cc bike (1995-1999).... i know nothing about one bike vs. another and i was told to get Honda or Yamaha.....

I am starting the lookign process and was wondering if there is anythign i shoudl specifically look for? Is it better to buy from dealer or private seller? Anythign else you guys can tell me woudl be greatly appreciated.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

basicly look how well teh bike was taken care of
    as for private or dealer there are advantges to both

dealer is going to cost more but you might get a 30 day warnty and you chae some where to call when its a pice of shit

private will usaly be cheaper

look for a bike that fits you

3. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

well,you should check the gas tank for rust and you should check the bike over for leaks: forks, oil, brakes, etc. Listen to the engine and determine if there are any strange noises. When cold some bikes will have some valve train noise, but it should go away if the vavles are properly adjusted. Check the exhaust to see if the engine is burning alot of oil. Like someone has already mentioned, if the bike looks pampered, then there is a good chance the bike is in good running condition. It would actually be best to ask a friend who is familar with motorcycle to tad along though.

4. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Agreed and I would go with private most dealers dont know about the bikes history on it unless it was serviced there all the time. On bike i'd say an honda F2 or and F3:bigthumb:

5. car54

car54 Guest

Why does everyone ask "what bike should i get"? I did what seemed logical.. sat on some bikes, took them out for test rides, and bought the one that felt right. how freekin hard is it to get your first bike? did you ask for advice on your first car? or did you go out and buy what you liked and could afford or what you were given? Well, since what you can afford isnt really important with bikes (their all pretty cheap).. so find the one that has the looks you want, the level of performance you want, (600cc is low performance for my first bike... yeah.. thats a common misconception). If a new bike is too much $$, find the new one that you like at the dealer and then go buy cycle trader and find the same one used. Check for the common problem areas. loose headset bearings, brakes, wheel bearings, tire condition (tire condition can tell you alot about how the former owner treated his bike) make sure he knows at least some history of the bike, and if you do everything right, youve finally found somthing that almost no newbies could figure out.

6. LiquidSmile

LiquidSmile I gotta go potty

Here is the Bike I bought, Cost me 2500
    It was my friends, he moved to Cali and was going to buy a new bike out there. It's a 97 CBR 600 F3
    It's Jetted
    Full Exhaust System
    LP Flush Mount Fronts
    Integrated Rear Turn Signals.
    New Paint Job
    I think I did alright on it.

MY BIKE PIC

7. car54

car54 Guest

600RR? whats up with that?

8. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

I would have to say layed down repainted and then just through some stickers on there;)

9. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

be careful

no matter where you go. .... check all numbers ... frame, motor, trans, etc. Alot of ppl will buy frames with good titles, slap on parts from a wrecked bike and sell you junk for retail. CYA (cover your ass) and make sure you aren't buying a salvage in disguise.

Just my $.02

10. LiquidSmile

If I wanted your opinion I'd give you one. ;)
    My buddy got the bike painted and went for a unique decal set of a 600 Bike that never went into production.
    And it's "throw" not "through" :fawk:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2002
  11. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

dayam, ur touchy.

and its "threw" not "throw"...past tense. english101

12. LiquidSmile

As you can see from the Smiley I was messing with you
    :fawk:
    If I was really being mad about it I would have gave you one of these
    :madfawk:

:wiggle:

13. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

:squint: Its called being shit faced when I wrote that.