A&P Hey Photojournalists - how do you approach a company?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Apr 5, 2010.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

So, I'm taking a high level photojournalism class this quarter, and the one real assignment is this:
    I want to get in with one of the Micro Breweries here in Philadelphia, and cover their processes and the culture and cult following that surrounds them. Everything from the brewing, the bottling, the brew-pub inside the building, and all of the social events they put on for publicity.

I have a TON of ideas for shots, and i'm not really sure how you can get more interesting characters than inside a brewery, so i'm pretty sure it'll be successful.

My question to you guys: How do you approach a company like this, and what are the standards when it comes to rights for the images? Do you allow them usage if they like them? Do they have to pay for that? Is there an agreement that you enter that goes something like 'we'll let you shoot us if you let us use the pics...' or similar?

I've never done this before...

2. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

email their pr rep or check their jobs page for someone that handles inquiries.

since they'll probably be doing you a favor, I wouldn't make them pay for image usage, but that's your call.

3. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Four Words. Will shoot for Beer.

Remember to post pics!

4. smaug

smaug born to lose

find out the master brewer's name..

then email him with your request, he is the one that will get you access to just about everything and in the long run it should be good for him/the brewery.

mention that you are a beer geek and that it is for a school assignment.

5. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

I always offer them a set of prints and rights to use them for their own purpose as long I as I can use them for my purposes as well.