Hey OT[chris et al.], how does this look

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by blam, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blam

blam New Member

See any problems w/ this pretty basic 3 day split?

Goal: Gain Size, Increase Squat, Increase Bench

Day 1: ( Heavier Squat Day )
    10x3 Back Squat
    3x10 DB Bench
    4x6 Bent-Over Rows
    4x6 Pull Throughs
    3x8-12 Triceps
    4x8 Ab Work

Day 2:
    3x10 Light Squats
    4x6 Dips
    4x6 Chinups
    3x10 GM's
    3x8-12 BB Curls
    5x5 Heavy Oblique Work

Day 3: ( Heavy Bench )
    10x3 BB Bench
    3x10 Front Squat
    4x6 DeadLift
    4x6 Face Pulls
    4x8 Abs
    3x8-12 Rotator Cuff

Day 2 is a little lighter on the legs b/c I do hiit and other physical activity on off days so I dont wanna ovetrain my legs.

2. blam

blam New Member

You think my volume is too high or low? Nothing is taken to failure so I dont see it being too terribly demanding.

3. illspace

illspace New Member

blam, can you clean out your PM box a lil bit. thanks

4. Drewski

Drewski New Member

as long as they are light squats, why not? in your base routine you've got light squats (or lunges) on day 2.

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

it looks like a lot of lower back work

6. Coconut Endo

Coconut Endo OT Supporter

Looks intense but I like it, try it out.

Like christophers said, make sure you eat and sleep a lot.

7. blam

blam New Member

NP, didn't realize it was full.

To reply to some of the comments:

-The main goal of this program is to make progress in my squat and bench
    and gain some functional size

-The volume falls close to the range reccomended By Chris Tib. in his Black Book of Training Secrets for full body splits so I think it is at least managable(hopefully).

-I am going to try to leave stuff in the tank so hopefully that will help my CNS out a little bit

-I am eating a ton and sleeping between 8-10 hours a night.

-I was thinking that the lower back/hamstring work may be excessive but I have honestly never had problems with overtraining those areas. They seem to the mop up the volume and smile. I think I will be able to tell on Friday when I DL if the volume is too much for my posterior earlier in the week.

-I will try to progress in weight for the 10x3's every week for 4 weeks. At which time I will have a recovery week and then retest myself after that.

-My chest cannot handle much volume, if I bench heavy more then once a week I burn out extremely fast and end up getting injured. I was training chest 3x a week [w/ one day heavy, one day speed, and one med-volume day] and I overtrained superfast and got injured. Training my squat 3 times a week has never lead to the same problems.

-This program is semi-based off of The Waterbury Method with a few changes

-I have direct arm work because my arms DO NOT grow without a little bit of direct volume. I could do pullups and rows till I am blue in the face and my biceps would still be girly.

A Few Questions:

If you are trying to improve BB bench strength do you think it would be better to do BB bench of both Day 1 and Day 3 or do a DB version for the higher rep work on Monday? I suspect that perhaps using BB both days would be best as it would "grease" the movement pattern more and lead to better neural efficency in that lift.

What do your reccomend for functional ab movements [AKA ones that have a high carry over to strength in squats, DL, etc]? I was thinking heavy side bends, roll-outs and pulldowns would probably be the best bets.

I was planning on doing a little bit of cardio w/ this program. 2 sessions of HIIT and maybe one light session of steady state for 20 mins. Do you think this would be pushing my luck as far as my CNS goes? Eating the calories to make up for the cardio is NP. I just think a little bit of energy system work is good for a number of reasons.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.