MIL hey NAVY guys

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BadBusa1122, Mar 21, 2008.

1. BadBusa1122

BadBusa1122 New Member

so i went to meps and got a 90 on my asvab and passed my medical shit. I picked AV for my job. now the question is should I go AT or AE. whats the difference. my recruiter said its an advanced electronis field.

oh and I Was gonna do Nuke but decided the sitting in the bottom of a boat with a bunch of dorks wasnt for me.

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

at's work on the radios/radars

ae's work on the rest of the electronics systems

3. armond

armond New Member

4. BadBusa1122

BadBusa1122 New Member

5. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

You may want to rethink that statement. It's easy to say, "Oh I was gonna go Nuke" and it's just as easy to eat those words when you wash out of nuke school.

Nuke ratings get the best bonuses plus with the technical training you receive, you'll be damn close to a bachelor degree in credit hours. Not to mention the great paying jobs after the military from being a nuke.

Nuke school is challenging. If there's a nuke rating available, TAKE IT.

6. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

You're not even aviation are you? It is actually just as the rate describes. AT's work on all the electronics and the AE's work on electrical circuits. If you get stationed on a ship, however, as either one you'll be sitting on your ass all day getting off work before everyone else in AIMD. You won't be doing any work...which is pretty much a huge waste of money for the Navy to put you through that long ass school, but whatever.

If you go O-Level as an AE or AT you will be learning a lot and working a lot. It'll be way more fun. Squadrons work way differently than Intermediate facilities on a warship. After A-School is when you'll get a C-School for different levels.

7. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

not being in the navy, or a nuke, but living near the nuke school I've met tons of nukes, and I can say to listen to Sharkticon, thats good advice there.

8. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Nuke ratings are always available if you qualify.

You'll be in school for about a year, more if you go Subs. And there will be many nights when you can't go out and party on a Friday or Saturday night because you have to go back to the schoolhouse to study. If you qualify for it, you have the brains to make it through...people wash out because of a lack of commitment. You have to look at the bigger picture.

9. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

I was stationed at Naval Weapons Station, Charleston for a few years. I've seen many a Nuke come through the Chaplain's Office on base. :)

I also worked with plenty of them (volunteering at Goose Creek Rural Volunteer Fire Dept). How does E-6 in less than 5 years sound? One of the guys I worked with, goddam pushbutton nuke, put on Chief (E7) in 7 years. It kinda sucked for him being a Chief and knowing nothing about how to manage people. But hey, it's possible and advancement is much, much, MUCH better on the nuke side of the house.

Whatever you do, if go nuke, and you get a sign-on bonus, DON'T SPEND IT.

10. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

it will depend on the platform that you get involved with but basically

AT Radio/Radar/FLIR
    AE Light bulbs/Electrical flight control components

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

no im not in aviation i just have a few AT friends :noes:
    thats what they learn in school, you could say the same thing about ET's working on all the ships electronics, but their real job is radios/radars/data systems

EDIT: its pretty much the same difference between EM's and ET's just on smaller scope and with newer equipment

12. BadBusa1122

BadBusa1122 New Member

Ive got the brains for it. I passed the nuke test WELL over what the cutoff is. But after reading about it and talking to a few nukes, I feel like Id rather be happy during the time i spend in the Navy, then miserable and with some extra money in my pocket. and ive always had an interest in planes/flying and electronics. plus once your a nuke you will always have to stay a nuke, the NAVY isn't gonna give you all that training and money for you to just change jobs down the road. I'm possibly going to do the officer pipeline and follow in my grandfathers footsteps. he was a lieutenant commander and a pilot, my great uncle was a rear admiral.

nukes may get the best training, but any of the adavnce electronics rates seem to be up there as well.

13. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

You'll get the best training no matter where you go. A-School and C-School instructors are carefully selected and highly qualified to be teaching the rate. They're technical experts, have great leadership qualities, and are good teachers (some in their own way lol). They all have qualities that you can learn from and in some way try to emulate.

14. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I'm an AE. I'd recommend going AT if you can, the training they get translates much better into higher paying civilian jobs than we get as AEs. They learn some really cool systems in-depth (FLIR, radar etc) that you can use in the civilian world, where as an AE my training is pretty much basic aircraft stuff and I'd probably be a regular aircraft mechanic if I pursue the same field in the normal world. I like my job and hey, if you like involved troubleshooting go AE, but from my perspective AT provides more opportunities further down the line.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008