A&P Hey look! It's another DLSR thread!!!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FryingPan, Feb 14, 2005.

1. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

Well, I'm selling the Panasonic (check out the thread in the Yard Sale forum) to buy a DSLR. I've narrowed it down to these four:

Minolta Maxxum 7D- Mainly because I already have access to a couple REALLY nice Maxxum lenses and the level of control the camera gives you. The kit lens is actually very nice as well (28-100mm f3.5-5.6), a little more versatile than the Nikon or Canon kit lenses. The built in anti-CCD shake feature really rocks too. The downside is that it's expensive- Newegg has it for $1588.99 :hsd:

Nikon D70- It's cheaper than the Maxxum by far and offers similar performance, just not quite the same level of control. I don't have lenses and would have to make do with the kit lens (which is better than the Canon's- and not necessarily a bad thing IMO) for the time being. $1026.

Canon 20D- To tell you the truth, I'm not that impressed with it, but the performance is proven and it offers a lot of features. I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews about the kit lens and would probably want something a little more versatile than a 18-55mm. Lenses appear to be more plentiful and cheaper than the rest. $1495.

Pentax *istDS- How the hell do you say that? Anyway, same performance as the D70, just simplified, smaller, and lighter-and hell- cheaper. Uses SD cards, which I've already got a shitload of. $1258.99 @ buydig.com with the kit 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm Tamron.

The 300D just doesn't feel have the quality feel I want for a $900 camera. A $200 Sony seems to be built better than that crap. I'd pay NOT to use it. The Olympus EV300 isn't even on the radar either mainly because of it's poor performance at higher ISO's (precisely the reason I'm selling the Panasonic- I just do far too much low light and night shooting.

Discuss. I'm leaning more towards the Maxxum mainly because I already have a couple of awesome lenses (44mm f1.4 prime and a 135 f2.0- I think- prime) that I would really like to make use of (and save money down the road.)

I've already read more reviews and opinions on each than I an possibly stand- I just need some final input before I make a decision here.

2. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

can't comment on the others since I've had no experience with the *ist DS and the KM 7D, and have spent very little time playing around with friends' 300D and D70. But I do own the 20D and would recommend it without reservation. Invest in good glass and you can't go wrong.

also, stop your internet measurebating. Go try them out at your local shop.

3. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I have the 20D and she's a beast. I love it :cool:

4. FryingPan

I have with the exception of the 7D and the *ist- nobody has them in stock locally. :hsd:

5. raptor_talon

so of the ones you've tried - which one do you like the most??

6. FryingPan

So far the D70. But the thing about already having 3 perfectly good (and pricey) Maxxum lenses is realy appealing. I'm gonna go look around town and see what I can find.

7. raptor_talon

If you've already got an investment in lenses, I'd go with the KM 7D. Especially, if these lenses are as good/pricey as you say they are.

8. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

If those lenses work with the 7D, then that should probably be your front-runner.

I have the *istDS and love it. Unless the 2nd lens is a $350 lens, that price seems high. My fiance bought the kit for me for xmas right when it came out and it was $900 I thought. The kit lens is fine but not spectacular. I already had 3 Pentax lenses that were better than it when I got it but you have to love having such a wide angle lens. It really came in handy at the autoshow yesterday.

9. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

well,
    in comparison, the D70 might feel better built, but it's a plastic body with a plastic frame vs the 300D's plastic body and metal frame just to let you know

melloboy

10. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

Might as well get the Maxxum if you have glass

11. sony

sony Active Member

12. mucky

mucky .

I have to say, I'm practically on the same boat as you. I wholeheartedly agree on the Canon 300D. As good as the camera itself is, I can't stand its cheap feel and its UI.

The 20D and 7D are way out of my budget.

So now I'm basically down to either a Nikon D70 or Pentax *ist DS. I'm leaving towards the Pentax primary for its convenient on vacation size. The Nikon D70 is a VERY nice SLR, but its too heavy and big for me to take casually on my vacation trips.

I'd take a hard consideration for the 7D if I was you considering you already have a collection of Minolta lenses already.

13. sony

sony Active Member

It's funny how feel can be such a subjective thing. The rebel is physically lighter and a bit smaller (IIRC) than the D70 and the way the grip is grooved and the shutter button is curved, it feels differently. It actually fits my hand better than the 20D does though. :o But then again, my 20D feels like a toy with a 18-55mm kit lens attached to it and no grip compared to a Rebel w/ grip and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS on it. :hsugh:

But yeah, both the D70 and Digital Rebel have polycarbonate bodies. The Rebel, however, has a metal frame under it and the D70 doesn't.

14. FryingPan

I think what primarily can be attributed to the Rebel's cheap feel is the type of plastic used. That shiny cheapo plastic just can't compare to the thicker rubberized plastic of the D70.

I'm gonna figure out what I can do about the 7D though- I'd like someone to buy my old camera first!

15. sony

sony Active Member

It's all subjective. The Rebel in a sense of "cheapness" is less "cheap" than the D70 because it has a metal frame onder the polycarbonate. So when I say subjective, I mean it in a sense that some of you guys put form over function and award extra points to a D70 because it is black and "rubberized" :hsugh:

Like I said, a 20D with a 18-55mm EF-S lens feels like a toy compared to a Digital Rebel with a grip and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS on it. They both take pictures, thats all that should matter to you. :o

In your case, I don't think the D70, 20D, Rebel, etc really are "right" for you. The 7D seems like the best option because you already have money invested into the system.

16. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

I checked out the Pentax DS in a store again this past weekend. The camera is almost too small to grip well. :dunno:

I guess it would depend on the lenses you have though...

17. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

If you want to check out the Minolta go to a Ritz or Wolf Camera and have them "Ritz Express" it. Its like ordering it, you will pay when its shipped, but if you get to check it out in the store and dont like it they will give you an instant refund on it and you are not charged any shipping or anything like that.

And, normally I dont suggest this, but since I hate Ritz as a company, (former employee) if the price is a lot more expensive, have them give you the refund after you check it out and buy it online or wherever you want.

But this way you can have them get it in, check it out, even take it home, you have 10 days to return, and decide if you like it or not without the hassle of a mail order place.

18. FryingPan

Well, I ended up going with the D70, mainly with this reasoning: The price of the camera leaves a good 500+ for a nice (or couple) of lenses. The camera is every bit as capable as the 7d just minus a few dials and buttons. I've already done some shooting with it tonight and I must say, it's a HELL of a camera. Well worth it. Thanks for the opinions and input guys.

19. raptor_talon

I want to point out 2 things:

1)congrats!!!

2)where's the pics?? :big grin:

20. Mike4831

Mike4831 “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’l

I will have to think about it.

21. FryingPan

1.) Thanks

2.) I'm still learning how to use this thing- gimme a couple of days :o

22. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

My D70 came in last Thursday. :coold:

23. videoholic

videoholic New Member

Don't you love it when people post for advice and even though absolutely no one recommended the D70, he bought it. Nothing wrong with that, it just shows that you really didn't care what people thought.

24. raptor_talon

LOL. If you read between the lines in his first post, he'd already eliminated all the contenders but the D70 and the 7D. My guess is he went with what he really wanted. Good for him.

Although, there aren't many reviews out there that gave the D70 a thumbs down. None that I've read in fact.

25. raptor_talon

DSLR crew getting bigger! :bigthumb: