MMA hey let me tell you a little something about time and jiujitsu

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Exiled, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Yeah i've been doing it a while.. i think about it.. pretty much more than anything else.

Can I write a book and throw down 50 million techniques? Off the top of my head? Fuck no.. give me a few months to sit and write shit down? Sure, bring it on..

I thought about that for a while and that's where TIME and JIUJITSU came into play.

When im in a position im not specifically thinking about doing this technique or that technique and even though I know you all do (it's part of the process) your main goal is to understand the position. (wow, what a cocky bastard)

I make up weird sweeps and submissions all the time and someone will say "wtf did you just do" and i'll say "no idea, show me".. why? understanding the position, or how to lockup a leg etc etc.

It's why people talk about Marcelo Garcia's "squeeze" with his guillotine etc.. he just understands the position..

That's how he developed those x-guard techniques.. because he used xguard so much he understood the position inside and out.

basically, ask me a question maybe if you have it.. but what I try to tell people is it's not the technique that's the most important, it's why you are doing it and what it manipulates.

that's why jiujitsu is so awesome, no matter what, if you understand the position you can manipulate the hell out of it in ways nobody (even you) will see right away'

ok was just outside having a smoke and thought of that and since it's dead in here I figured id post something..

:eek3:

2. Exiled

Exiled New Member

oh I forgot about the time thing

that comes in time.. if you play a position (like chechen and his.. hillarious half guard) for long enough to understand it.. you will make up technique..

is that to say someone hasn't already made it up? no.. but you WILL invent it for yourself if you have enough time playing in a certain position..

moral of the story: my balls itch

3. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I thought you were quitting smoking?

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Mine too, I missed a spot this morning shaving.

5. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I am tomorrow, I was going to yesterday but I ended up not being able to get on schedule because I had to put tie rod ends and brakes in my truck..

I had to drink some beers, smoke some cigs.. after tonight im going to get my diet ready for the next 7 days and call the troops for training after work :wtc:

6. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

When you learn a new move, technique, whatever.. how do you personally make sure you pick it up? How long do you drill it? Do you then try to work it into your rolling that day?

I learn a new move or submission, but find myself losing it. We drill it and I get it down, but I can't ever integrate it into my game while rolling. Should I just roll with people at half speed and work on setting it up and performing it?

I know I am answering alot of questions while typing this out. I am just curious to see what the more experienced guys go through to nail down new things.

7. ilduce

ilduce New Member

How do you have time to suck your own dick so much?

8. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Before you get mad Tony...it was just a joke.

9. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

I agree with this thread.

I was so used to rolling with wrestlers when we cross-trained (judo team was all on the wrestling team, and we all dabbled in jits) that I ended up making up a move that I don't see most people do.

If someone gets my back, I turtle up and I've become really good at tucking chin from being on all fours during wrestling (judo coach was wrestling coach, we drilled chokes and back mount/hooks) so I would tuck, wait for them to start going for RNC.

When they start going for RNC a lot of the time if you try to buck someone they post a hand in front of you or off to the side in front, so I grab the hand they post, and basically throw them from all fours.

Its like a dropknee seonagi but without the drop :mamoru:

So I throw hard/fast and explode and if they manage to stay on the side of me like a failed back mount, I just crawl up the arm until I'm in side control.

Its stuff like that where people don't know why I'm doing it or what its called but I completely understand what Tony is getting at.

10. ilduce

ilduce New Member

I think cross training helps a lot when it comes to finding something "new" or a different style. Being a wrestler helps me a lot when Im able to roll and control/shift my weight that some folks dont understand. Tony makes a great point though that there are things that can be individualized to suit that person.

11. kilian

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm so comfortable being on all fours from spending so much time there during wrestling that I don't mind it and actually prefer it sometimes because for me its a quick road to side control.

12. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I forget the guys name but he would compete and immediately turtle.. he devloped the shit out of it and I actually worked on that for a while, he would attack you from that position and sweep you.

So yeah

13. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I think the most important thing I've learned is that no matter how talented you are, this stuff takes time to learn and be good at. You've got to drill it over and over and over and keep using it to be any good. There are so many positions and situations that it takes forever to learn what to do in all of them.

We have a bunch of guys who show up at the gym, take the classes for a week, or a month or whatever and end up leaving because they aren't tapping guys who have been there longer than them.

14. kilian

:werd: I feel so comfortable in a neutral position or all fours, but I hate being in someone's guard. I'd so much rather be on my stomach than be in guard.

15. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Nice post :bigthumb: I appreciate it when you take the time to impart some knowledge in non-gif form to us lowly cagers. :mamoru:

But I agree with what you said. I try to breakdown and understand a position rather than just learn technigues from a set up spot.

Breaking down techniques to individual specific spots, pressures, grips ect will help your understanding of how each base action effects you and your opponent, and in turn allow you to use and apply those actions to other techniques or modify and improve techniques you already use and know.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  16. Exiled

Exiled New Member

[​IMG]

17. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I play the turtle game from time to time and can usually get to a decent position from it.

My biggest weakness is getting out of being sidemounted. But I prefer to be on my back working from guard.