hey I got a question.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jackman, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I'm wanting to get a car and I'm wondering what you guys think of a Mitsubishi 3000GT. Please don't hesitate to answer, I really want to know the pros and cons about this car. It's pretty much owning me right now. I've been looking on ebay and they look like they aren't that exspensive. (Parents are willing to get me a car that's around $4000 but I have to go 50/50 with them). If you guys have any tips on using ebay to purchase cars it would be great.

By the way, I'm 16 and I just got my license.... =\.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh, another ricer-in-training :ugh:

3. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

3000GT VR-4 is still a bad little car.

eBay buying tips: Ask a LOT of questions, get a LOT of photos, and whenever possible use an excrow service, Especially if the car is not close enough for you to go see and inspect before buying.

4. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

ebay car buying tips: never buy an older car on ebay.

unless you can physicall come and test drive the car or are willing to put work into it. never buy a old use car sight-unseen.

pictures can be deceiving. sellers does not list everything that's wrong with the car. etc...

seller's description of the car might be different than what you might think it is.

he might say that the car runs perfect. but he might fail to mention that it shakes/rumble like crazy at idle. sunroof/t-top/convertible might leak, oil leak, burns oil. etc....

5. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

You won't get a 3000GT VR4 for 4g's. I would no bother. If you're looking for a quick turbo car, try a 1990-1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX / Eagle Talon TSi AWD. You should be able to get one for under $4000, which will leave you money to buy goodies/repair the car. :)

6. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Trust me I'm not a ricer, I like it fine as stock.

Thanks guys for the info, I'll keep all of that in mind.

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

You called the VR-4 a "little car" :mamoru:

I would not buy one. They are extremely complicated cars which means little things break and electrics go haywire all the damn time once they get old (which is to say, now) and will drive you absolutely nuts. Plus they are about as mechanically reliable as the later model turbo/AWD DSMs, which is to say, not very.

I agree with illeagle94, you might want to check out first gen DSMs. Or something else entirely for that matter.

8. Jackman

Jackman New Member

hmmm what about proteges?

9. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

A Protege would be a great first car actually. I've only driven a 3rd gen, but I'm told the older ones are pretty similar in dynamics. They have low resale value, cheap insurance, are fun to drive and reliable. 4-door utility is nice too.

They are, of course, not fast :)

10. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Screw going fast, I want to live haha.

What other cars do you/the rest of you recommend?

edit: no hondas please, especially civics, I see enough of those already. Most of them riced to the max.

11. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Thanks. :x:

12. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Maybe a mid-to-late 80's VW Golf or GTI? I had an 85 Golf 2-door, and it was a fun little car. You can probably pick one of those up for way cheap, which will leave you plenty of extra money to fix things and upgrade parts. Just look for one that's been well taken care of. They run forever if hey are taken care of right; mine had about 300k on the stock engine, and all it needed was a headgasket.

13. Team503

Team503 Guest

Forget 3000GTs. Overweight POS with no power and it breaks all the time.

I'd recommend trying to get into something RWD, slow, and cheap, with lots of potential. That way, you can build it up, and as you do, your driving skill will increase at the right pace to match your mods (assuming you have to pay for them yourself).

FC3S (late 80s Mazda RX-7), S13/S14 (Nissan 240SX 89-95), AE86 (Toyota Corrola), or any other similar vehicle. I'd stay away from the MR2, especially the Turbo - it's midengined, and the handling will bite you in the ass pretty hard.

If you want to get into cars, the car you need to buy should fit these characteristics:

RWD > AWD > FWD
    Manual > Auto
    FR > MR > RR (For a beginning driver, anyway)
    Lightweight > Heavy
    Easy to Work On / Cheap to Repair > Not
    Potential > Fast Now

Remember, driving is a skill that relies on you, not on the car. Make sure you improve the most important part of the equation, YOU, first.

14. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Thank you all, I guess I have alot to learn haha.

15. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

bg-chassis proteges can be quite fast with a bp-turbo swap.

16. NEGROTIATOR

NEGROTIATOR New Member

mkIII supra. Great platform with plenty of potential and options. you can easily find one for under 4k and still have dough left for parts :wiggle:

17. atomic punk

like a stronger headgasket :mamoru:

18. bigsakius

bigsakius New Member

i say miata, dont knock it till you drive one. That car is a blast and to mod it is soo cheap and fun. Besides its a drop top too and the engine lasts forever

19. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Really depends on what you want in a vehicle. $4k gives you lots of options.

Miatas are some of the most fun cars on earth, $4k will get you a decent '94, but be aware that they only have two seats and very little storage space, that can be a liability in your only car... OTOH, my Miata is my only car and I have few complaints.

Maybe a more practical sporty coupe? Older 2.2L Celicas are cheap and run forever. A 3rd gen Integra RS should be within reach (Acuras aren't Hondas, right? :x: ) S14 Nissan 240SX although they are getting more expensive thanks to the "omg dorito!" crowd.

2nd gen Protege, try to find an ES 5-speed. 98-00 Ford Contour with the Zetec 2.0 four.

Subaru Impreza AWD, especially useful in wagon format.

Odd as it may sound, Saturn SL2/SW2. Very cheap and rock solid from what I hear. Probably less exciting than the above...

Nissan Hardbody pickup truck :coolugh:

The best advice I can give you to narrow things down is just to drive a few cars and get a feel for them. Being 16, getting people to let you drive their cars may be more of a challenge, but you should try to do this with at least two or three different kinds of cars before picking one out, so you will know you're getting something you like.

20. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I would agree with all of the above also, except, don't be too quick to count out FWD. In a lightweight car it isn't necessarily such a bad thing, and it is better in some ways for a beginner. Snap oversteer has a high learning curve :hsugh:

21. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I have to drive my mom/brothers around because my dad says that they're DEPENDANT on me to drive them around now, so we'll have to scrap out the 2 seaters.

I don't know why, but my dad won't let me choose cars that are under 1990.

22. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

MX5 sounds like it suits you perfectly according to Team503's irelivent little information...

MX5's are good cars, try and find the original incarnation of the 1.6, altho it may be smaller capacity, they are the true mx5 that havnt been bettered. Not high speed, but a blast to drive, to improve your skills, and being a small RWD platform they have potential for modificaton. Cons... practicality, being 2 seat, and a rag top they dont hold much and are easy to be stolen.

Plus they are/were always a popular tuning car, so they may have been crashed or gutted with mods. vbmenu_register("postmenu_38982156", true);'s

23. atomic punk

1st gen pro > 2ng gen.

and you don't want a contour.

as for the miata, if it has the b6 make sure that the crank snout problem has been addressed. 94-up with the bp would be my choice, but i am somewhat biased ;)

24. Team503

Team503 Guest

Irrelevant? Um, how? I agree the Miata is a GREAT car - I've often contemplated picking one up, but I haven't ever gotten around to it. Honestly not sure why I forgot to include it. :)

And while I'm not counting out FWD, I believe that RWD is inherently superior (as do most engineers and racers). Thus, the low power, RWD recommendation - starting on a stock S13, for example. It's enough to learn how to drive a RWD car, but it doesn't make enough power for power-on oversteer without intentionally invoking it.

25. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

A sentra SE-R is another good option. Very cheap and reliable, and its a pretty fun car even stock.