Hey everybody - Why do you care?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by evh, Jul 27, 2009.

1. evh

evh Active Member

Here's something I was thinking about today as I was browsing through the vag and reading numerous thread titles that allude to many negative and sad thoughts.

This something is a profound, simple, and yet mind-blowing statement.

"Why do you care?"

When your girlfriend/boyfriend tells you "things are moving too fast", or "things are weird with us lately", or anything else of the sort, why do you care? Why does it bother you?

I find it odd that this question cannot be answered. It can be, but it's a circular argument and concludes nothing. Therefore, it is an invalid answer. Again, the question cannot be answered.

"I care because..... I do."
    "I care because.... it bothers me."
    "I care because.... it makes me feel <any way>."
    or my favorite...
    "I care because... she's a fucking bitch and she's hanging out with a guy right now...."
    ^^ That one's my favorite because the answer is a restatement of the question. (Why do you care that she's hanging out with a guy right now?)

When it comes down to it, you are the one and only thing that is responsible for making yourself feel a certain way. This doesn't answer WHY you feel that certain way, but it does make you a little more aware of what's going on when you're having a freakout over a small bump in any type of relationship (whether it be sexual or nonsexual).

I'm a very logical person, and since I found that I can't answer the question "Why do I care?", I have to then logically conclude that I actually do NOT care.

Some might say that they care because they don't want to lose this person, or they don't want their thing to end, etc... but again, I would then analyze what's actually going on and have the realization that whatever it was that led me to having this anxious and unsettling feeling (maybe it was "things are going too fast") is actually miniscule and irrelevant and logically wouldn't effect the way things are anyways.

Now, I'm not talking about things that can make or break a relationship, such as asking yourself why you would care if someone were to cheat on you. That is a different discussion. I'm talking about the things that people freak out about and let bother them that are so tiny in retrospect. You all know what I'm talking about... (she didn't call me!, she didn't answer my text, she's hanging out with a guy friend.... etc)

So I ask you Vag, Why do you care? Why does it bother you?

To conclude, again I say that you actually don't care and the reason you feel uneasy and bothered is because what's happening is you're having an illogical collision of thought.

Think about this. You logically don't care while, at the same time, you are attempting to convince yourself that you do. This is all happening while you are experiencing a feeling of an uncertainty in an attempt to seek out an answer to a question that cannot be answered. ("why didn't she text", "why is she hanging out with a guy", "why did she tell me things are moving fast"). I believe that this "bothered" feeling is really coming from the inability to answer those types of questions. I think we confuse that feeling with the feeling of being bothered by something our SO is doing. It's completely logical and rational to feel uneasy about not being able to answer a question. However, you cannot answer a question about someone else's motive (what's going on in their head) unless you're a telepath and/or slip them some serious drugs so they tell you what you wanna hear.

I feel that it's just a simple mind trap and that most people not only let, but MAKE themselves fall into it.

Lately I have realized that there are 24 hours or 1,440 minutes in a day. If I get rejected in some way during that time period... well guess what? I have the next 70 years to do it all over again but instead succeed.

I cannot understand why people make themselves be bothered (remember, you are the only thing that can make you feel anything) by things that are so miniscule in respect to how long you have on this earth.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and I want to add that I think our own egos contribute to our own downfall.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander OT Supporter

Emotion is something that is not easily explained, my friend.

3. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

I think that this is an incredibly pessimistic way to look at life, designed specifically to protect yourself from feeling hurt of pain.

I have a better question for you:

Why DON'T you care?

This is your life, complete with all the happiness, anger, heartache, pain, hope, and sadness. Each situation is brought to you to teach you how to advance forward. From the smallest little thing to the greatest failures, each moment etches at you and makes you who you are right now and in the future.

So if you get hurt, feel the pain and embrace it. You're alive aren't you? If you are happy, enjoy it. If you feel anger, let it come out of you.

Notice that we are essentially saying the same thing. One is pessimistic and the other is optimistic.

4. evh

evh Active Member

Absolutely correct.

It's also not logical. And since logic governs our behavior, the question is why would you let your emotions take charge?

5. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

That's an interesting belief.

I'm curious as to how you came to that belief cause it seems to me that people are so random. :dunno:

6. Cobra Commander

Logic does not necessarily govern our actions. Look at all women.

7. evh

evh Active Member

You're telling me my way is pessimistic while telling me to "embrace pain"??

Think about that.

I thought that I had the optimistic way.

The reason I DON'T care is because:
    -Logically, I shouldnt. I'm almost 19 years old and I know that this experience will only repeat itself, and, there will be many more greater and positive experiences to come. As I said, I have another 70 some odd years.
    -I cannot find enough reason to do so. I can't answer the question "Why do I care?" You can't prove anything in life, you can only disprove it. I'm disproving my reason to care (because there is none).
    -Pattern of behavior. I see these types of things occur in relationships all the time. In fact, they're normal. It's a pattern and it's what actually does happen.
    -Inability to explain the action that's supposed to bother me. Since I'm not able to answer why whatever it was that happened, I see no need to assign importance to it. People enter emotional states for many different reasons. Emotions are not reasonable and often because of them result in carrying out actions that we didn't intend to do.

There's more, but again, this already greatly exceeds my number of reasons TO care.

8. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Sure. There's nothing pessimistic about admiting that pain exists. There's nothing pessimistic about feeling and embracing pain. Pessimism is about coloring the entire world with your pain. Realizing that pain is a part of life, and embracing that fact, is not pessimism.

Your first post, however, jumps out at me as something that sort of colors the world with negativity (I can't explain this, why should I care, etc.).

Or you could die tomorrow. :dunno:

If you believe that this experience will only repeat itself, then that's exactly what will happen. I spent so much time repeating my previous experiences that I never want to go back to doing that again. Now that I realize that new things are ahead of me, I find I'm a lot happier and enjoy my life a lot more. This day and this experience will pass. Tomorrow will be something different and it too will pass.

I'm pretty sure that I can prove to you that I am wearing a blue pair of gym shorts right now.

How about, there are some things you can prove in life and some things you can't prove in life? You're leveraging an extreme to prove your points. The truth, however, falls in the middle.

It's ONE pattern that you have turned your focus on and you are using that one pattern to color all the other patterns that exist.

Consider the idea that your belief that "logic governs our actions" is what causes you to belief that emotions are not reasonable.

9. Cobra Commander

That is not logic evh, that is reaction.

You are looking at this from a male's perspective.

Although logic drives women as well, they are more emotion based.

Think about that.

10. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

You know, I used to think that women weren't logical, but I'm starting to think that they just have their own form of logic (that is different from a man's logic).

I'm not sure that that logic is based in emotion either.

11. evh

evh Active Member

Nope, you can't. You can disprove that is is any other color except blue because you fully accept the wavelength of the color blue to be true without doubt. There is no possible way to prove that wavelengths actually exist, only a way to disprove their nonexistence.

If you were colorblind and didn't know it, you would insist on telling me that your shorts are blue. I would say, no, they are green. I can disprove that your shorts are blue by using the spectrum of light and wavelengths, and then show you that the shorts are emitting a "green" wavelength. I cannot prove they are green, however, because you are accepting without doubt that wavelengths are 100% correct. There is no way to prove that, only a way to one day disprove it.

Thus, I would not be able to prove that your shorts are green, rather disprove that they are any other color because of what we accept to be true (the light spectrum). The reason I cannot prove the shorts to be green, again, is because the light spectrum has a possibility of being disproved. We accept the light spectrum to be true based on wavelengths. There isn't a way to prove that wavelengths exist, rather only a way to disprove that they are imaginary.

It's very confusing, but do you follow?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  12. evh

evh Active Member

I know that is reaction. Reactions still follow logic, though not on a conscious level.

I have thought about it many times. Women are more emotion based, though their emotions are congruent with their own logic.

Here's where I think people get confused... They say men are logical and women are emotional. BULLSHIT.

The logic of men is mostly influenced by reason.
    The logic of women is mostly influenced by emotion.

Logic is subjective to every individual. As I said, you willfully do what you believe will make you better off.

13. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

By disproving all other options, you prove what you set out to prove.

Thus, you are still proving your point. ;)

14. evh

evh Active Member

Wrong. There is the possibility of there being another spectrum of light that we have not yet discovered, which is why I cannot prove it to be green, but only disprove any other color.

Saying that I proved them to be green by disproving would then be invalid, because you cannot 100% conclude that all other options have been disproved (proving means that something is true), rather only the options that you know of. The options that you know of you accept without doubt to be true, not because they have been proved, but because anything else has been disproved.

That is wrong. Proving something means to be 100% true. Nothing on earth is 100% true or fact. You believe things to be fact because they have stood the test of time from being DISPROVED. That is how you test fact. Again, you can't prove anything, only disprove. Using word play and "opposites" is what you are doing by saying you "proved" something, but again as I said you can only say you proved because you DISPROVED it in the first place. It is therefore not valid to conclude that anything was proved, but again, only disproved.

If you still insist that you can prove things, go ahead and tell me how you will prove to me that the shorts are blue. I am telling you right now that this knowledge of prove/disprove is fresh out of study from college and that you are wrong, but I'll be able to better demonstrate what I'm trying to say if you attempt to prove to me that they are green.

15. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Looks like you've proven that nothing can be proven

16. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Well, they are not green, they are blue. :rofl:

But I got to be honest, this debate is already boring the shit out of me. :big grin:

But I can see where you are coming from. Proving something to be 100% true *is* probably pretty tought (or impossible, as you say). But I don't relegate to extremes. Probably cause I've been out of college for about 5 years now and don't use a fraction of what I learned that because it's not feasible or relevant to the real world. :dunno:

Someday, I think you'll agree with that.

17. evh

evh Active Member

Ay, you're bein thick now....

18. evh

evh Active Member

Sorry, I confused the color of the shorts a few times in there.

Alright, you've got my point now. And again, not being able to disprove something does not mean you have proven it. This is deductive reasoning, and the argument is not valid.

This argument is boring me as well, however, this is the real world man. Knowledge is power, doesn't matter what type of knowledge it is.

And for the record, everyone relegates to extremes, it's inevitable. Not all of the time, but, I can conclude that one's life is run mostly by extremes. Call them "preconceived notions", "values", "morals", or whatever else you'd like. They are still extremes.

19. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

"almost 19 years old" :bowrofl:

I'm fucking dying.

Why do people care about things? Because we are biologically programmed to be invested in our self-interests, so anything that affects us, we care about. Pay more attention in science class or take a philosophy class if you're still confused.

:rofl: I'm seriously dying here.

20. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

evh2.txt

21. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I just don't think you realize how poor the arguments are in this thread.

It's like a bunch of kids in a freshman philosophy class.

22. evh

evh Active Member

Where do you think all of this information is coming from? My fuckin' head?

You are the dense one.

23. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

did this get answered yet

24. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

My head hurts.

25. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

Awesome counter-argument.