SRS Hey Demon, whats your story

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cmndr. WRX>MUSTANG, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

which part of it?
    I can give you the jist of why I chose NA over AA ... how's that for a start?

More comfortable there, and I don't feel that many AA meetings offer what I need overall...

Theres a message to be had in those rooms, AA doesn't convey it nearly as well. Its more from the book, less talking about what you need to talk about.

My home group in washington is called Gropers not Dopers, I've been in those rooms since I was a child, even though I went and used for a few years (like many NA folk, I consider alcohol to be a rather potent drug, a drug is a drug is a drug, nuff said), I knew that when I needed to turn shit around, they were still going to be there for me. So when I wanted to get clean, I turned to my friends, the ones who knew me, loved me, and could call me on my bullshit. My family is all part of it as well, as it stands, I have 2 years and one month on the 17th, my father is lucky enough to have 30 days (if he does, I don't know, i'm just guessing, he goes to AA, and is in and out more than he admits it), my mother will have two years on the 25th. My uncle had 5 or 6 years before he passed away in 98, my friend willie has the 22 years in december, and I am surrounded by people in the program who I have known throughout my childhood who have 7, 10, and 15 years on average and its an amazing thing to me.

I also go to a few different meetings when I am home aside from my home group... BAD (Bikers Against Drugs) and one at a group health as well... and the reason I go to those is because again, its the same people who knew me and who knew my uncle and my mother and know eachother throughout the years.

If I had stayed going to those meetings before I started drinking in my teens, I would have been much better off, but I didn't so I fucked up (even though by the time I stopped going to meetings with my parents in my early teens and couldn't grasp the severity of what i could learn in those rooms, I was still around them even though I wasn't using till my late teens anyway).

through them i also gained a lot of new friends, and a reason to actually do something with my life again.

at gropers, the basic meeting goes something like this:

everyone hangs outside till a few minutes before the meeting starts
    everyone goes inside and gets situated
    rules and descriptions and whatnot are read "What is an Addict", "Why are we here" etc
    we ask for newcomers or people outside the area to speak up
    we ask for those with proud time to speak up
    moment of silence for those who've been lost or have gone out again
    read from the book "Just for Today"

Then basically everyone is given a chance to talk about how they can relate to the subject in just for today and overall, even just listening to some of these people talk, the message can be seen and heard even by newcomers.

so, its what I know and am comfortable with, and wish I had more of where i live now and hope to have it when I do decide it is time to move on from where I am now as well.

2. Wait, whats NA and AA and all the acronyms you used?

I have 2 years and one month on the 17th - Is that refering to how long you were in the programs?

And I live just down the road and to the left from group health.

3. Demon Of Dreams

NA = Narcotics Anonymous
    AA = Alcoholics Anonymous

2 years one month = my clean time from october 17th 2001 to current.

the group health I go to usually is about 3 blocks up from where the first seattle meet was in redmond :)

4. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

hey, isn't AA or NA almost like a preaching group??

how does this differ from church??

:eek3: ...

and, in some cases, isn't this just a group of mature people, leaning on each other to bring one another back to health?? also, can't you lean on this crutch (or excuse) for your entire life, thus limiting your own potential??

:dunno: haven't been in the worst of circumstances ...

hope everything goes well for you, though Demon Of Dreams, man ...

:wavey: ...

you have been there for most of your life, but what would you really say that you have taken from there?? the adult companionship, and standing together as a group?? what I see really fails in businesses is that everyone is fighting for their own, rather than fighting together to achieve the same goals ... no matter where you go, there is some dick-knob boss without a clue, with his / her head in the clouds, never talking with his / her staff ...

but, yeah ... AA and NA is good to bring people together, much like a church, except that everyone has the same problem ...

good luck with this forum, Demon Of Dreams :wavey: ... I hope that you find the answer to this problem, along with everyone else!!

:wavey:

-Nightshade

5. Demon Of Dreams

Not at all... it is nothing like church. There is no worship, if you do not choose to have a higher power then that is your decision. It's a group effort and everyone has the chance to share and listen, nothing is forced, it is your choice whether or not you want to share and contribute to the group. It's basically support with friends.

It's not really a crutch at all, everyone has gotten where they are by themselves more or less, it does not limit the potential of one or the other, it merely allows you to convey the message you received when you got clean and while you stay clean. It's relaxing to go to a meeting and know that you're not alone in the world with your mistakes, you're surrounded by people who have fucked up as much if not more than you have, its something to learn from and its something everyone else learns from.

I've taken a lot from there, as far as what I need to stay clean, friendships I wouldn't trade for anything, and found a better meaning in my life than just drowning myself with alcohol on a daily basis just to feel better or to have fun. It's basically everyone striving for the same goal, through themselves and through the program with others, we want to stay clean and we have to work at it.

Unlike church, through 12 step programs, the choice of having a higher power or beliefs in such a being is purely optional, some find it helps, others like myself do not find it helps. But through all the differences, we are still there for one another when we need to be, and we offer something to newcomers that no one else cares to offer due to ignorance or just not caring at all.

I wanted this forum because I know there are others who will see this forum for what it is and use it for what it is. Unlike the asylum, this forum is based on something that has been a group effort ever since the beginning of these programs. It is also based on a stronger foundation of trust because of how the programs are in person. It is for support, it is to offer something to those stuck at work or home who have no other option and cannot make it to a meeting, its something I felt would be beneficial to OT because I have hopes that this forum can be a group effort, since I have atleast that much faith in the people of OT for a forum like this.

There are people on here who have gotten and stayed clean both through the programs and through themselves, whether they believe in the programs or not or if they used the program to start and went their own ways then they need to, and likewise, there are people on here who may want to change how things are for themselves and need to be pointed in the right direction.

6. oh :( I live by the one at northgate.

7. btatedash

btatedash New Member

isn't narcanon run by scientology?

8. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

no

9. Moose

Moose New Member

wow you washington members live dangerously close to me and a couple other OT'ers

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Hiya buttsex.. ;) j/k :-/

Don't you love those who try to make a crack at a serious meeting. :squint: :slap:

Anyway I wanted to post up and let my thoughts known on a couple things here.

First of all I'm curious of Demon of Dreams. I know this is being nosy so don't take it the wrong way and remember your individual rights and don't answer if you don't feel you want to share. ;) (although in my opinion it's nothing to be ashamed about nor something that would keep your mouth shut persa ) I was wondering if you believed in God and if so what religion you were. I see your avator and i've seen your art and it doesn't reflect any God that I know of except for a very small minority of religions that are also called cults. :-/

My story is long. To sum up I'm 10 1/2 months sober. I've been in AA for about 4 years but havent been to a meeting in 6 months.

One thing I havent seen mentioned by DofD is that AA/NA is non denominational and a non-profit organization. Also AA/NA is a place of education along with being a place of outreach. Teaching someone that they are an alcoholic is a hard thing to do. Many people walk in and out of those doors because they just can't fathom that they are an alcoholic. :rolleyes: The ego is a powerfull weapon against humility and having people who will understand and share in your commonalities eases the burden and sheds light on the path to sobriety.

To go to AA you have to want sobriety. It's not there to be forced upon people as it would never work in that fashion. Each life is different and each life gives insight on something that was previously missing in the group.

There are people who go to AA/NA their whole life or are daily members for 10 or more years of their life. If nothing else then those people for however long they attended AA were around people who loved them for who they were and genuinely cared for them.

You'll see me babble on in this forum no doubt. ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  11. Demon Of Dreams

:rofl: I'm used to it my friend... although when it really is time to get serious, we all get serious... in my home group, we're relaxed and comfortable and I believe that is what causes the new people to come back, because we're not afraid to cut loose and have a jab at someone when the mood needs to be lightened at times, because the entire group as a whole is just as relaxed and realize that even with the most serious things, you need a smile :) There is a lot of crosstalk at some meetings, which is fine, as long as its quiet enough for it to allow people to still get the message if the message needs to be heard... so it all depends on the situation :)

As for me, I take no offense to that :) I do not have a religion nor do I believe in god, I am who I am and I have gotten to where I am in such a manner where I feel comfortable enough in my beliefs as they are :) I have no select following nor do I really have a selected higher power, so when the need arises, my options are out in the open and I have my selection :) so I do not do many things that will reflect a religion, faith or higher power... anything I do usually represents a part of me.

Congrats on the 10 1/2 months. Just a thought my friend, but maybe when I'm in the area, we can hit a meeting or two at some point :)

No, I had not mentioned it, and thankyou for doing so. It was going to take some time for me to mention that as I was going to type up a few random things for a new sticky that would involve much of that. But It's good someone else has posted it as well :) The same can be said for an addict, they walk in and out often enough because either they're not serious and are there by a court order, or they simply cannot fathom life clean and being called an addict, and will continue to be the addicted without realizing it. I agree that the ego is a powerful weapon, and unfortunately people cannot look past it to see that there are indeed people who will understand and share and help out to the best of their ability.

It's good to see you babble :big grin: I can only hope more will follow.

I've mentioned elsewhere that a friend of mine has 22 years in december... it seems that if he were never there, there are a good number of people who would have never seen the message, because he was so reliable and always there to help whoever needed it. Sobriety can be an amazing thing if you allow it room to grow, because eventually it spreads to those you love as well :)

12. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

;)

You must be made of a special mold. ;) It's been documented that people who do not believe in God, as I do ;) , do not do well in recovery. I even remember at one point knowing of a book written by an atheist in recovery about AA who ended up going back out. :( :dunno:

Anytime my friend. :)

No problem. There is much wisdom hidden away inside the rooms of AA. Free life blood so to speak. ;)

True. Before they can truly identify and use the assets of AA they must be there on their own accord and be ready and willing to learn. We, the support, are there even to give out cleenex when the time requires some.

;)

Isn't that the truth. In religion it goes much the same way. In these waters is where a lot of misconceptions lie. AA is not about God it is about you. God is not the person who made you take the first drink. It was your choice. Even my own religion (Christianity) says this in it's teaching. My religion says that God gave us free will to do with what we please. It is your and my responsibility to be accountable for our actions. If we are not capable of handling a drink its not God's fault. Many people do this. Replace the blame on something they have no control over. For instance: An alcoholic who has been abused by thier father blames their alcoholism on their abusive childhood. In such situations we, as human beings, know that in order to conquor the present problems it is important to understand where we made the mistake that led us down the wrong roads.

Forgiveness is key and hubleness is hard to swallow. That's why we say take one day at a time. We know in our hearts we cannot promise you that tomarrow we will not take a drink. It's out of respect that we show each other we are not perfect and have made a concious decision to keep from making the same mistake twice.

13. KGB

KGB Guest

Hey there. Actually the NA (at least the one I use to attend) believes in higher power, and many times emphesises it. However teh higher power doesnt necesairly mean god. In many cases those members who are not religious are encouraged to think of higher power as something thats inside them and drives them to do good. Its hard to explain but Im sure youll understand...

Simply it differs from church becasue there is no preeching about anything that cant be changed, basicly they reasure you that YOU have the power to make changes in your life. Plus every meeting is different.