Hey B-Body Experts, I have a question about Diff Carriers.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Heres the deal. Im trying to beef up the roadmaster for the Power Tour. Im really interested in eliminating the Open Diff that I have to deal with.

Now, my options right now are an Eaton Posi traction unit for an amount that is going to apparently add up to about 500 dollars, and then some.

However, while browsing the Summit site, I noticed that a company named PowerTrax is marketing what appears to be a Detroit Locker, excpet their version. It runs an open diff but automatically locks up to provide full traction, and then automatically unlocks back to open diff during normal driving.

and its only 245 dollars, and doesn't effect the gearing or anything.

So what do you guys have to say about this? At this point, Im looking at a Posi Trac + 3.73 gearing. However, the setup I am currently looking at is going to be over 800 dollars all said and done.

However, with this it looks like I can essentially get the same thing (sans the gearing) with this unit.

Would this be a good thing or a bad thing?

2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I would go for the Eaton unit. The Powertrax works good if you want to drag race, but for the normal road it can be a pain in the ass, and it can be noisy, even though they claim it not to be. In the long run, you'll be happy with a good LSD.

you should check this site out. http://www.impalassforum.com

3. SSICK WX3

SSICK WX3 New Member

Yup just heard that they make noise when locking and hard to make sharp turns ex: parking space. Go with the Eaton unit.