Hey audiophiles - Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BigBlind, Sep 22, 2009.

1. BigBlind

BigBlind There is only one way to become champion; never fu OT Supporter

I'm a college student who wants to get a sort of "starter kit" of sorts, I have no idea what makes a good sound system beside what I read in the FAQ of this forum.

Basically I want to spend $200-300 to play sound on my TV for movies and music from my computer. I live in a dorm so I don't need anything big, and I'm not looking to make a huge investment right now, but I wouldn't mind having something I could build off of.

I was looking at this guy:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290015

But one of my friends thought it might be hard to connect it to my TV (I'd have to buy a receiver or something).

Basically I know almost nothing about speakers/home audio and I recognize that, so I've come here for advice, if this is way too broad/stupid then sorry.

2. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

The speaker you listed won't work for your application. You need to buy something that is powered (have a built in amplifier).

I myself prefer 2.1 sound over 5.1 Something like this fits in your budget and I'm sure you'd be happy. I have a similar set-up on my flatscreen/computer in my office.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

3. BigBlind

It's funny you mentioned this, one of my friends suggested the exact same thing after I asked him what he thought.

Thanks

4. Eggnog

Eggnog New Member

I think you might be satisfied with the Logitechs, however saying "Audiophile", you might want to consider a more hi-fi setup, such as an entry-level pair of studio monitors.
    Here are some nice M-Audio ones
    http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-AV-Powered-Speakers/dp/B000MUXJCO/
    or you could go with the fanboy favorite, the Audioengine A2's.
    http://www.audioengineusa.com/a2_home.php

Either way, both of these speakers will provide very nice, accurate sound reproduction but you would likely still be satisfied with the sound quality vs. the Logitech speakers (though they maybe not as bass-y as you might want them to be) and both pairs are powered so you won't need an external amplifier or anything like that.

5. BigBlind

I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused, the two that you posted are less bass-y, but are better fidelity?

I'm very new at this, but the logitech's are considered 2.1, are these considered 2.0?

Would it be simple enough to connect any of the three to my television to watch a movie?

Thanks

6. Eggnog

Eggnog New Member

Yeah, these are both 2.0 (the .1 is the subwoofer) and would deliver better quality than the Logitechs. They would both be fairly simple to connect to your TV and computer, but you may need to get some adapters from your local Radioshack

7. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

For what they are, the sound that comes out is pretty amazing. If you have a local Best Buy near you, go down and audition a set.

8. BigBlind

I actually have a floormate with them, they do sound really good (at least to my untrained ears).

I've ordered them.

9. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

I think you'll be happy......Enjoy!:bigthumb:

10. BLH

BLH Member

11. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

Lol.........audiophile and logitech dont belong in the same sentence. Do not go with that system. If you insist on getting a pretty cheap 2.1 system atleast go with Klipsch. They have a couple 2.1 systems that are considerabily better. With 300$ you can probably afford a pair of KRK RP6's or some M-Audio monitors as suggested earlier.

12. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member