Hey All.. 98 SLK230?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Tio, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Tio

Tio New Member

What do you thinks think of a used 98 SLk320? Is it a reliable car? A 98 with like 80k miles on it, would that run me for another 70-80 k if taken care of properly?

Thaks :)

2. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I would only do this if you also threw down for an extended warranty. You do NOT want to be paying the bills when things go wrong with a German car.

3. Volkl

Volkl New Member

The engine in that car is one of the most reliable gas engines Mercedes has ever made. My father has a C230, with the same engine, and has 160,000 miles on it. He has yet to have a problem with it [owned since 5K miles]. A synthetic oil history helps. The engine is pretty easy to work on yourself, and will save you a lot of money [belts, plugs, oil, etc]. The only problem with the SLK is the trunk is too small. With the top down, you can't even fit 2 sets of golf clubs in it. How much is the seller asking?

4. Gvoz

Gvoz Serb Crew

Mercedes Is For Old People Go Buy A Nice Car

5. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

Overpriced due to low depreciation. Underpowered. Sloppy transmition. High mileage.

Honestly, unless you really want a Benz coupe (the only reason I can think, is to 'pose') change your choice.

6. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

don't do it...

slk = slow, engine sucks, handling sucks, bitch car, '98 has unpainted bottom moldings, dated styling, about to be totally replaced,

7. Volkl

Volkl New Member

Low depreciation is a good thing. They DON'T depreciate because they are well engineered cars that last. If you want to spend less, buy a BMW with the same miles and make sure your local shop has space for it. IN 1998, I do believe that was the SLK 230 Kompressor. It is supercharged, it has plenty of power. While it won't beat an M3 convertable, it is is still plenty quick, and better looking. Oh, and it isn't a Mercedes coupe, it is a Mercedes convertable

8. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

you'd think mercedes suddenly put a kia with a description like that.

engine is very reliable and puts out plenty of power for your average person. i'm sure it doesn't stack up to OTs standards though since everyone has a 1000hp, 1000lbs. car.

what does bitch car mean? didn't have enough negative shit to put in so you threw that in?

and its not going to be totally replaced because they are continuing with a second generation SLK.

9. topher

topher New Member

slk's look like a more refined miata IMHO

10. BlueBlur

BlueBlur Guest

imo anything below a 500 (any class) isnt a REAL benz. ur just getting an eco car so that benz can compete with other companies. go for it if u like it

11. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

i'm not saying that the slk is a bad car..obviously its better than most cars on the road. BUT for the money i just cant see it as a good buy. my boss has an early in the generation (either 98 or 99 i think) so i've ridden in it many times. the 4cyl kompressor engine is pretty harsh and the car really doesnt feel that quick nor sharp. as for bitch car, most of the ppl i've seen driving one is a girl. when i meant totally replaced, i didn't mean that they'll be dropping the slk name. but i'm sure you'll see that the new gen slk will be about 90%+ new compared to the 1st gen slk. for my money, there are several roadsters i'd buy before an slk. sorry....

12. ToBillBrasky

ToBillBrasky run away my son. see it all. see the world.

makes sense to me :rolleyes:

personally im thinking of getting an slk 230 myself, i love the slk series. i havnt checked them out at a dealers yet so im going on what other people what said, but ive heard only good things about them.

13. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

well then who made it if Mercedes didn't? they decide what a mercedes is when they design it and put the star on it not you. i don't even know how you could ever begin to explain why only V8 mercedes would be "true" or "real" mercedes. you know in europe and the rest of the world the bulk of mercedes have 4-6 cylinders and anything above that is considered a major luxury. Mercedes, like all the other european car companies, tailors to many needs when it comes to car size, engine power and economy, and affordability. MBUSA is a totally different animal compared to MB world at large. their bread and butter is made on reliable 4-6 cylinder petrol AND diesel engines and they never expect to make as much money on their 8 cylinders because most people in the world can't afford the taxes and fuel costs that go along with them.

14. ToBillBrasky

i :love: you

mb fans are the greatest :hug:

15. BlueBlur

BlueBlur Guest

they not only make V8's they make V12's. They may have put the star on it, but i drive it. When i pull into the dealership, I experience an entire different realm of Mercedes than most people do. Lower class Benz's are real but people are not experiencing what a real Benz is known for. Nice, quiet, leather thats beyond reality, V8, V12, twin turbo, supercharged, etc... People buy these low class Benz to try to fit into society and think they are the sht when in fact their cars are practically cheap eco cars to compete with other eco cars. They lended me a 230 for half a day and that was a joke. If u like 230 go for it, if you dont dont get it

16. ToBillBrasky

thats your opinion, but i think no matter what mercedes you drive they all have that feeling you are talking about. i driven a couple different benzs and am looking at the slk 230. but you're intitiled to your opinion :dunno:

17. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

all mercedes are made with quality and lots of engineering behind them from the lowliest A-class to the top range S ,CL, SL. i still don't understand why these "lower class" mercedes are lowly mercedes to you. like i said before, what we see in America is only but a fraction of what the rest of the world gets. a CLK320 is considered a luxury but here its the base model CLK. mercedes bmw etc are like chevy's and fords over in europe. just so happens they pull off entry level "econoboxes" and super luxo cars at the same time (something we aren't used to). ok maybe people buy c-classes here to try and look like they're rich.. but realistically the US market is just catching up to the rest of the world. and your different realm of V8's and V12's is nothing new or novel to me. i litterally know hundreds of mercedes-benz owners through the work i've done on bnzsport. they own everything from lowly c-classes to high end AMGs. over the past few years i've forged friendships and contacts with these people so i know their experiences. and these people have multiple MBs in their garage too. for the money you pay you better get a different realm. my experience (as a previous MB owner) was that more times than not, service has been lacking in the past ten years.

the fact is Mercedes is still one of the few car companies out there that is on top of the pile. even on their bad days i'd still take a mercedes.. any mercedes, over anything else.

18. BlueBlur

BlueBlur Guest

i have high standards in life.

19. Johnny*MacBlayze

Johnny*MacBlayze wassup? shut up!

my boss has a 97 slk230 kompressor. seems to be doing just fine.

20. xttc2000

xttc2000 Guest

id say it would go another 70-80k at least.

but be careful what you pay for it, because honestly that car isnt worth a whole lot. nobody wants an SLK with high mileage, even 12k per year is high on a MB. people looking for that car will most likely want under 30-40k. dont pay retail for one, they mark up between trade in and retail on them is insanely high. find a private seller and offer him 1-2k above trade-in value and im sure theyll take it.

21. ISO9002

ISO9002 New Member

no point to argue...a few of you guys were right....we cant say those under 500 is lower class mb....but well....i respect your opinion. But many other countries that has MB for sale....they usually get 230 - 320....430 is kinda rare unless you are driving a long way to somewhere...500 is even more rare...i only see more 430 and 500 here in the states....but not plenty more...just a few.

Its ok for you to say under 500 are cheap-mb...if you got the money to buy all 500 or above...otherwise...lol

22. NautaNutter

NautaNutter New Member

i have the same problem, stuck between a 00' z3 or a 98-99' slk230, I like the look of the z3 better but the hardtop on the slk makes the decision hard, someone help :hs: