MIL Hey AF guys, talk to me

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrduke, Nov 20, 2008.

1. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

This might be long winded, but here goes. I've been in the Navy for a little over 4 years, still on my first enlistment, and it's time for me to decide where to go with my career. I'm an E-5 and an electrician on Super Hornets, I do like my job and am pretty good at it but I really don't like the ship, ironic I know (1.5 years of sea time in your first enlistment might do this). So I recently visited Nellis AFB and after talking to a bunch of guys out here and observing how you guys conduct business, I'm thinking that the AF might be a better path to take for me. I know you guys are more specialized when it comes to maintenance but I can ask the recruiter about all that when I go talk to him, I just wanted to get some input from anyone who could help on how easy it is to do inter-service transfers like this and any details on the process. I know some of you have transferred branches so I'm hoping I can get some help. Sorry for the long post but you were warned :bigthumb:

2. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

gl and :h5: if you switch

3. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

I'm not currently aware of the AF's likelihood of taking prior service. That might bite you in the rear. But good luck if you do. Been in almost 3 years, and I have no regrets. :)

4. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

LOL. Chances are you're not gonna get taken because the AF is right where they want to be with manpower.

Why I'm laughing...I was actually looking into getting out of the AF and going Navy as a Sub Nuke.

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

That's a hell of a switch, are you doing it for the civilian opportunities when you get out?

6. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

Call the Pentagon and tell them you two want to switch, kinda like trading teams! They're not losing anyone from the rooster, ya know? :mamoru:

7. Hahawhat?

Hahawhat? New Member

I thought it was easy, when I was in tech school all the prior service members (5 of them) were from different services.

8. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

How long ago was that?

9. Hahawhat?

Hahawhat? New Member

2 years ago this January, but I truely don't think it would be that big of a problem. Go talk to an AF recruiter and ask some questions, most should be nice and get you all of the information you want and need for you to make a decision. If not, go to a different one because not all recruiters are nice or good.

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

What about going from USAF to the Army?

11. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I do believe Operation Blue to Green is still going on.

12. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Nope, I just hate the way the AF operates. I honestly think the senior leadership has a collective IQ of about .1 They have lost focus on the mission. They are so obsessed with HOW you get from point A to point B that they don't even realize you got there and accomplished the mission. Me, I don't give a flying fuck HOW it gets done, I just care that it does get done. For example:

Mr. AF "Leader": "You just deployed 130 people from your unit and 3 of them didn't have (Insert random training certificate here)."

Me: "Is the lack of that certificate going to make them incapable of doing their job over there? Nope, don't think so, but thanks for playing."

Mr. AF "Leader": "Sergeant, those people not having that certificate makes all of us look bad, so even though you deploy people every 2 months out of your unit, we're going to have to double your mobility exercises since you're not doing it right."

Me: "Sir, with all due respect, you are a fucking retard. You obviously lost focus, and maybe you need to retire. We get our mission accomplished perfectly fine, which is proof enough for me that a stupid fucking certificate isn't preventing anyone from doing their job. Maybe you should just go sit in your office until retirement day."

So yeah, this is the kind of shit I'm dealing with in the AF. And from what my dad, who spent 8 years in the Navy and has been working as a civilian for them ever since, and my uncle who spent 22 years in the Navy as a nuke and is a retired Senior Chief, tell me, that kind of bullshit doesn't seem to be as big of a problem in the Navy.

13. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

maybe you should just get out of the military :dunno:

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

So what is the problem with just completing the certificate before deploying? You get a check-list. Seems to me the ones who deployed are at fault because they can't read.

15. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

The problem is the fact that the Air Force has become a baby-sitter branch. The individual at fault is never actually the one at fault as far as "leadership" is concerned. IMHO the big problem is the fact that "leadership" is actually "management" because 99.9999% of them have zero clue how to actually LEAD, and apparently that is what the AF wants. They want yes men who question nothing as opposed to real leaders who find better ways of doing things and accomplish their unit's goals no matter what it takes.

And as for the checklist. Every time we send people out, our checklist gets changed, on average, 6 times while out-processing is in progress. So when all is said and done, nobody really knows WTF they're supposed to do for out-processing. Air Force Smart Ops my lily white ass.

16. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

The fact still remains that you had the checklist and knew what needed to be done before hand, regardless of how petty it is, it still has to be done

17. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Ok, you're apparently at a remedial reading level, so I'll try to keep it as mono-syllabic as possible for you.

I was not the one doing the checklist, I was the one out-processing the people who were. During the course of out-processing our 130 personnel deployment package, someone, and I stress this, NO ONE knew who, managed to change the out-processing checklist 6 TIMES. So there were people who thought they had finished over a week prior to departure in the line to get their records checked right before departure, only to find out that they had the obsolete checklist, and there were like two frivolous training certificates that they were supposed to have in their records. They had the training complete, it showed complete on their GO81 training rip, but because they didn't have the certificates in their folder, they were not in compliance. This is the kind of BS that pops up in the AF every fucking day when someone is gunning for their next star/stripe/etc. The AF has a bad record of taking systems that work perfectly, and changing them on a whim, fucking everything up in the process.

18. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Exactly, this is my point. In the AF, the member is NEVER responsible for their actions. Here's another shining example of retarded fucking AF "leadership":

I am in a squadron of almost 900 people, split between 3 AMUs and the support flight. Some douchebag Airman goes out and gets a DUI on Friday night. So what happens? A logical person would say the Airman gets his ass chewed, an A15, and whatever the CC deems necessary as punishment. What really happens? At 0600 on Saturday morning, every fucking person assigned to the squadron gets a call to be in the base theater at 0730, in full Service Dress, to get an ass chewing, while the dirtbag Airman is home sleeping off his buzz. Worse yet, you ask everyone as they walk out the theater if they even know who the dirtbag is, and 90% have zero clue. But yet.."we failed him as his wingmen". Bullshit. I'm all for punishment when it is needed, but the AF's mentality of punishing EVERYONE for one moron's actions is fucking absurd.

19. Julius

Julius Guest

ok, the USAF sounds more and more like the army

solution, transfer to another command or just get your DD214 (i'm taking the latter)

20. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Funny you say that, a LOT of people in the USAF think that it won't be too long before we are absorbed back into the Army and badged once again as the Army Air Corps. The way they are doing things lately it seems more than possible, but actually probable.

Kinda hard to transfer to another command when I'm a cargo aircraft crew chief. They all belong to AMC unless you go overseas, and I'm disqualified from that. So I'm screwed no matter what. Getting out is not an option. Especially not the way things are going right now. I may have great disdain for the AF, but I LOVE my guaranteed paychecks.

21. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Lots of AF hate in here :rofl:

I talked to some F-15 crew chiefs the last night I was there and they were telling me all about the exercises that you guys are always doing, and that shit didn't sound fun at all. At this point I figure at least I know how the navy works, plus I'll be making E-6 soon enough and it would be hard to transfer at that paygrade and know nothing about the job. I'll probably be a squid for the foreseeable future :o