MIL He's home!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I was out running around yesterday and I got a call from my Army son. He was in the Atlanta airport, taking a few seconds out to make a quick call to let me know he'd be home in about an hour and a half! :eek3: Problem was - I was about TWO hours from the airport, and my camera and stuff was even further away. :hsd:

So I broke a few laws and probably scared the piss out of some decent, law-abiding citizens, but I made it to the airport and to his gate a few seconds before his plane pulled in. Minus a really nice knife that I like to carry around. That went to this guy that was real sorry to have to take it in the Airport security area. As I was getting the electronic wand treatment, I told him it was okay and encouraged him to keep it if he could, while pointing out all the nice features it had. By the time I left security, I think he was convinced that I didn't give a damn about the knife if they would just let me through a few seconds faster.

As I ran for his gate, I stopped in an airport shop and grabbed a disposable camera, slapped a $20 on the counter, and told the guy to keep the change (in front of some surprised guys standing in line). He looked flustered, but I didn't see him complaining when I looked over my shoulder as I was running away. He was shrugging and putting money in his pocket. :mamoru:

So I made it to his gate and there's no plane there yet. :bowdown: I got the disposacam out and clicked a shot of the empty ramp, just to get the first picture taken and make sure it will actually take a picture. About that time, I hear his plane pulling in. Talk about timing! He was one of the first off the plane, and I'm pretty sure the camera didn't flash when I snapped his picture... but when I get the film developed I'll post it up here.

Right now it's just me and him hanging out. His mother (my ex-wife, the bitch) hasn't answered any of his calls to her. He's got some relatives scrambling to get up here, and a ton of friends that he's trying to keep at bay so he can spend some time with me. After a few days he'll probably go on a mini road trip.

He's already told me some stuff that had my hair standing on end. He's one of only a few Combat Engineers that are trained for mine detection in his unit. There have been quite a few times when he's come off of a 16 hour QRF, and been told to grab his gear for another 16 hours of mine detection or something else. And the Iraqi Commando's his unit was training, that were so effective and making such a difference in Samarra... It turns out that a reserve unit took over the training, and decided that they didn't need to do very many joint patrols. They completely fucked up the relationship with the commandos, pulled themselves back into their little patrol base, and are pretty much doing jack shit until their deployment is over. The commando unit said "fuck this" and they left the city. So now Samarra is like the wild west, jihad style. :rant:

Well I didn't mean to type so much, but wanted to let you all know he made it home okay. I'll be offline probably at least until Sunday night.

Peace :wavey:

2. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

congrats i bet you are glad he is home:wavey:

tell him teh barracks says :hay:

3. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Congrats Ranger, time for some father son drunken bonding :wiggle: :bigthumb:

4. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

Congratulations, man. It's good to know he's home safe. I know it's had you buggin out.

Hope you guys get to spend some good quality time together. Buy him a lap dance for us

5. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Congrats! :bigthumb:

6. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

thats awesome man, you sound like a kickass father.

7. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

Glad to see he made it home!!

8. hitnrun99

hitnrun99 New Member

9. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Awesome to hear he's safe and sound :bigthumb:

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I'm glad to hear that you got to spend some time with your son. I just got back from some lib with my family so I really know how it feels to have some love to come back to, reminds you what you're fighting for.

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:bigthumb: Have fun.

12. Isamu

Isamu New Member

Congrats man, and i am sure he is glad to be home.. i know how it was when my unit got back from k2..

13. BassBoy14

BassBoy14 New Member

Good for you and your son. Hope hes home for good. I should be out of here in a few more months, then Back to Stewart and Retiement. Have a cold one for us still here.

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Nope - he's just home on R&R. He'll be going back in a few days.

And yeah - you can count on us to drink a pitcher or two on your behalf! :beer: