GUN He's a Democrat, but I like this guy!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fox800, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Fox800

Fox800 Fear Boner OT Supporter

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_145174.asp

Bill Filed To Ban Microstamping Of Guns
    posted February 20, 2009

Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson, has filed legislation that would ban the sale of “microstamped” firearms and ammunition, calling them an infringement on the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

California has passed a law mandating microstamping of firearms, “and I predict that Tennessee will pass a law banning it,” Sen. Jackson said.

Called the “Second Amendment Protection Act,” the bill would outlaw sale of firearms and ammunition that are laser-engraved, or microstamped, to identify the buyer of the firearm or ammunition after it has been shot.

“This process does little to track criminals, but it does a lot to eclipse our Second Amendment right to bear arms,” Sen. Jackson said.

Microstamping would lead to the establishment of a registry or database of gun-owners who are guilty of nothing more than owning a gun, the senator noted. “A firearm registry is a preamble to gun confiscation. And the law-abiding American gun owner would have to pay the added costs it would incur.”

He said the legislation "points out that microstamping would do little to fight or solve crime" because:

Most guns used to commit crimes are purchased illegally, many of them stolen, so a microstamp ID would be meaningless.

Microstamping can easily be removed from a firearm with simple tools.

Most guns do not eject shell casings, which is where the microstamp mark is found.

Microstamping wastes money that could be used on proven crime-fighting methods that give results.

“Just last year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that each citizen has a constitutional right to bear arms,” Sen. Jackson said. “But we have to be diligent if we are to protect that right.

“Microstamping is meaningless technology that threatens the Second Amendment.”

Sen. Jackson filed the legislation Feb. 12 as Senate Bill No. 1908. If passed, it would amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Sen. Jackson represents Dickson, Giles, Hickman, Humphreys, Lawrence and Lewis Counties.

2. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

THAT MY STATE

THAT MY HOMETOWN ONLINE NEWSPAPER

Pride, son. :love:

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Nice.

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Cool, someone with some sense.

5. amac88

amac88 New Member

I wish more people would think like him.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

that shit won't affect CA for another ~10 years (if it ever does)

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So he wants to ban dumb guns and ammo in the name of protecting freedom? Seems stupid to me.

Quit fucking making laws bitches.

8. attomica

attomica Active Member

wat?

9. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Ever heard of a revolver? :hsugh:

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'm willing to bet more folks own semi-auto pistols than folks with revolvers... at least these days. Especially when it comes to a carry gun.

11. Kasumi Chan

Kasumi Chan Happy, joyous and free. But fuck off.

How does marking weapons to track them to their owner infringe on anyone's rights? You buy a car, it has to registered to you. :dunno:

I personally like the idea of guns being tagged, makes sense to me. Owning a weapon with the ability to take lives should have a form of registration.

The amendment protects your right to own one, not your right to privacy of owning one. And with a right to own something, comes with a responsibility to keep track of it.

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

first and foremost, history has shown us that across the globe every form of registration has led to confiscation: nazi germany, england, australia, etc. it has nothing to do with "being able to keep track of weapons because they're a big responsibility" it has to do with the government being able to know where they all are so that when their time comes to pull the plug its easy - no resistance.

secondly, micro stamping technology is horribly notorious for not being able to produce clear results after many rounds being fired. the stamping on the firing pin gets worn to the point that impacts on the shell casings are completely illegible after 100 or so rounds - imagine how they would look after 1,000 or 10,000.

not to mention the fact that to dodge that system you can disassemble your slide, and scrape the firing pin on the ground a few times and its erased; or if you were keen on committing crime you can swing by your local shooting range, pick up joe-schmoe's spent casings and deposit them at the scene of the crime (or steal a gun and use it - it would be traced back to the original owner if the stamping proved to be successful).

the whole car/gun argument is worthless. owning firearms is a federally protected civil right.

and sure, the weapon is capable of taking lives but it takes a conscious human being to do so. there are twice as many guns as cars in the united states yet vastly more car related deaths than gun related deaths. maybe we should start banning high-speed cars, or sueing Ford and Toyota because their cars were used in crime. no, we blame the person for that - much like how it SHOULD be with firearms.

guns dont magically tell people to commit crime, just like cars dont, knives dont, sticks dont, etc.

edit: to answer your question, it infringes my 4th amendment right to privacy.

13. Kasumi Chan

Kasumi Chan Happy, joyous and free. But fuck off.

Guns are stolen. If guns were marked before they were put in stores or gun shows, and then registered to a particular person, those guns could then be kept track of. That way, when somebody stupid get's their gun stolen and doesn't report it they can take some of the blame for that shit. When large shipments mysteriously disappear, the company who was gonna sell them then has a responsibility in it if they don't report it. You guys see eventual government intervention to take your guns, I see a national change in responsibility. Security will be tighter on guns, people will care more about protecting their rights. It's like many other things, you people want your rights, but you gotta a whole bunch of fuck tards abusing them. If you want rights, you have to take the responsibility for them.

It just boggles my mind that there are places in the US (I'm not awesome with gun laws) that someone can walk into a store and buy a gun with no criminal background check and no license. That makes no sense to me. Why on earth should guns be allowed to sold to someone who had some form of criminal history of violent crimes?

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if my guns were stolen i would report it to the police with a description of the firearm (make/model) along with the serial number. that way if its used in a crime they'll know its stolen and not to come to arrest me. i dont know any gun owner that WOULDNT report a stolen firearm. would you?

what companies do you know of that large shipments stolen? what company and product are you even talking about? perhaps you can link a news story that explains what you're talking about.

why would you want to make my safety the governments responsibility? shouldn't that be left up to me (and every other citizen in this country)? is it justice or democracy to have your views and opinions forces onto everyone else because you think they're the right way to do things? that doesnt sound very "American" to me.

i agree about taking responsibility for your rights, its called PERSONAL responsibility. read: not the GOVERNMENTS responsibility to take care of me, my safety, or monitor what firearms i may or may not own.

i think you're confused on a few different things here. every FFL has to run a criminal background check, and it is illegal for felons to purchase firearms. are you talking about face-to-face sales that don't require a background check? perhaps you should do some more research and understand the argument you're trying to make before discussing it.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Why do I deserve any blame for being the victim of a crime? Going to send me a bill for the mailbox that the joyriders who stole my car and hit next?

Indeed you aren't awesome because what you described is very very illegal.

16. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Banning the sale of microstamped guns sounds like a risky way of going about it. The next congress just has to mandate microstamping of all new guns in order to ban the sale of new guns. The bill should be directed at a constituonal amendment restricting government's power to legislate on the issue of microstamping.

17. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

No Amendment necessary. It's unconstitutional based on the 2nd and 4th amendments.

You are guaranteed the right to own a weapon (and the right to not be infringed by doing so), you're guaranteed a right to privacy, BOTH of which would be affected by being required to register your firearms.

Microstamping is no different from the millions of other various gun laws that they attempt to push on the citizenry.. a way to restrict us and eventually subdue us.

If you think Congress, and 90% of politicians in general care one bit about the people anymore, then you've already made a mistake.

18. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member