WEB herro. i'd like to launch a site, but i have no clue wtf i'm doing. a total noob.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gary Busey, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

basically, i've been kicking around an idea for over two years, of launching a legal news site tailored to my local area. i'm not a fan of the existing services in the area and think i can do a better job, we can report on matters quicker and with better writing, etc.

content-wise, we're ready to go. i've got a couple of writers ready to work and we have the necessary contacts to get a nice flow of news stories going immediately.

technical-wise, i'm totally lost. i'm not an IT person and my undergrad had nothing to do with the internets :noes:

here's what i know so far
    1. i need to get a domain name. from who, someone w/ a good price, i dunno where to start.
    2. i need to find hosting. what qualifies as a good price/package, i dunno.
    3. i need to decide on advertising to be put on the site. whether i should go with adsense or something else that pays better, i have no clue.
    4. i'll need merchant services, as our subscribers will be purchasing news stories, abstracts and subscriptions from our site with credit cards. i have no idea how this works or if its too technical or time consuming for me to do personally.

the way i envision it working is, someone comes to our site and purchases a subscription to our newsletters w/ a credit card. if they want to purchase premium articles/abstracts, they'll have to purchase those individually via credit card.

any help is appreciated :hs: if i can do this all myself, wonderful. if not, suggestions on who/what to hire would be appreciated.

2. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

your first step is a domain. namcheap.com or godaddy.com is where you need to go. now, for a content management system. try using joomla or drupal.

forget about ads until you get some steady traffic going. goodluck.

3. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

1. If you're looking to buy a domain, GoDaddy.com is the place to go.

2. For a site like what you're going for, you're going to want maybe 100mb of space (even though most of it will be unused - it's nice to have) and a decent amount of bandwidth. PHP and MySQL are pretty much requirements too. Check this out: http://asmallorange.com/services/hosting/ It's perfect for you, and the company has a very good reputation

3. Adsense is the way to go for new sites. They pay well considering things related to law have generally high-payouts.

3. http://www.2co.com/ is what you're looking for. It is what fazle uses :)

If you're in need of a programmer, check out http://www.scriptlance.com to hire programmers on the cheap. Make sure feedback is adequate though.

4. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

awesome stuff, thanks. joomla intrigues me ... can a total noob like myself use it, or will i have to learn MySQL and PHP

.info names are on sale at godaddy for 3 bucks/year ... dunno if having that instead of a .com will make much difference. hmmm.

5. marcom10

marcom10 ...

Don't go with .info, get a .com for your site. To use Joomla as in skin it, hack it, etc you will need to know PHP, a noob cannot do it. I personally don't like Joomla because of the excessive use of tables, I find Drupal to be a lot better...

6. autox

autox OT Supporter

Yeah, definitely go .com. I never liked joomla all that much, but there are a lot of options with it. Take a look at wordpress too, its typically used as a blog site, but some people use it as a CMS and there are a TON of plugins and so many different themes. It really depends on how you're going to do the site.

7. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

well, i'll be posting lots of members-only news stories, so the site going to be all text, maybe some pdf documents for download, too. so not a lot of bandwidth or coding is needed ... i think

basically, the two most important things to me concerning the site are
    1. good login/membership management and
    2. being able to accept credit card payments

would wordpress allow for such capabilities? :dunno:

ah, i see. so joomla isn't an option then. does drupal require lots of PHP/MySQL knowledge?

8. autox

autox OT Supporter

Hmm, the login membership stuff should be easy, I dunno about CC payments, but only because I've never looked into it. The wordpress.org forums are pretty helpful:
    http://wordpress.org/support/

9. marcom10

marcom10 ...

All CMS require PHP to edit, hack, etc...