Hero

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by red_fox, Aug 28, 2004.

1. red_fox

red_fox New Member

An excellent movie. It made you think (alot!). :big grin:

A few people in the theatre were put off by the beginning and left. They missed a good one.

2. Billy McGee

Billy McGee New Member

looks reallllllllllly good

3. Blood Moon

Blood Moon Guest

Hero owns! :bowdown:

4. whiteghetto

whiteghetto Timbers Army!!!

i just watched it today and thought it was pretty good
    very visual movie with a good story

5. red_fox

red_fox New Member

yeah it's subtitled. I wasn't too bothered by it

6. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

I wish I had known it was subtitled before I went. I sat too close. Also went to a midnight viewing so I dozed off a few times (couldn't help it). I thought the movie was amazing. The fight scene in the rain with the guy playing the music was the shit!

7. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

I liked it. Too bad i went to a theater with a ghetto crowd who couldnt appreciate a martial arts movie with an... ahem... actual story.

8. Billy McGee

Billy McGee New Member

saw it today

it was great

9. Loranth

Loranth New Member

Just got back from seeing Hero. Definitely a good film. Just amazing visually. Since its actually been out for two years I'm not sure if it eligible, but if it is I hope it wins some awards for cinematography.
    One thing about the movie, though -- it is extremely full of Chinese Communist Propaganda. I wouldn't be surprised if some members of the Chinese government had a part in writing the script. I doubt most Americans will even notice this though, and those who do likely won't care. I don't think it really takes anything away from the film. I just find it very amusing (analogies to the Taiwan situation and the whole "Voice of the Proletariat" scene).
    I completely understand why they were hesitant about bringing this movie to America, and I'm not talking about the propaganda portions. It movies much too slowly and everything is far too drawn out of American audiences. If an American director was to tell the same story it would take about 20 minutes.
    As I said, I did enjoy it Hero. Do not wait for it to come to video to see it. Make sure you view it ont he big screen.

10. mrpo

mrpo New Member

If you enjoyed this then I would recommend you try "The Emperor and the Assasin", http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/emperorandassassin/index.html

PO

11. .Nameless.

.Nameless. Guest

I saw this about 6 months ago on import DVD and fell in love with it. But it's so much better on the big screen. You notice so many more little things. And it was nominated for best foriegn film in 03 so I'm not sure how that affects its chances this year. But one can only hope.

12. tripolarproduce

tripolarproduce New Member

what do you suppose the importance of the different dominant colors in different scenes were?

13. sessyducky

sessyducky Guest

meh... it was good until the story was retold about 10 times... i wish i would of known it was going to be subtitled i was sooo not in the mood that day for that kinda of crap :dunno: the end was dragged on too long for me...

14. Element_2NR

Element_2NR New Member

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Okay heroes sequences of storytelling was creative and the whole directing was as well because it is so beautifully rendered, hint the fight scenes. The story was excellent because it reinforced the main thesis of this movie in a very nice way. The ending was unexpected somewhat because I thought he was goingtake on the whole army. Cept the only time he does fight is in the past tense. The computer graphics is just awesome. Some of the scenes may seem rather funny because it's so matrix like but I think it holds some truth to an extent if you have some knowledge on these martials arts practices of the ancient world. IM GETTING IT ON DVD

Oh yeah it's subtitled which made it better because dubbing sucks big time. At least it was better for the literate people.

15. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

Awesome movie, great visual effects. The wire-work was so much better than anything else done yet - you could tell it was wire work, but it wasn't so obvious as in other movies (bouncing in mid-air)

16. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Very well made, but the ending left me cold. Must be an Asian mind set.

17. smellyshelly

smellyshelly Guest

**SPOILER** (i guess...)

Most probably already knew this, but I'll go ahead and type it anyway.
    Red - The lie Unnamed told.
    Blue - The story how the emperor saw it.
    Green - The past.
    White - The unbiased truth.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  18. sinthetiq

sinthetiq Anteater Member

i didnt like it