Herniated Disc

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Knightmare X, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knightmare X

Knightmare X OT Supporter

I just found out a couple days ago that I have a herniated disc. I don't really know the specifics of it, but I have been having back pain for the past 6 months from what I believe was caused by bad form deadlifting. I had previously had an x-ray and they didn't seen anything so I had just been doind physical therapy and stuff to try and help resolve it. It still hurt so I just got an MRI. Have any of you had this before? Any advice? I'm supposed to go in on Thursday and have an epidural.

2. tofu

tofu New Member

same thing happened to my old workout partner (he's only 22). He hasn't been in the gym in about 4 months and had surgery on it.

3. Knightmare X

yeah I'm 22 too....I talked to the doctor briefly on the phone and he didn't think I would need surgery and obviously I don't want it but I just want this thing fixed so I can get back to normal

4. Knightmare X

:hs:

5. vokuro

vokuro Active Member

what do you feel was wrong with your form?

6. Knightmare X

I assume I didn't bend my knees enough or something. The thing is I never felt like I had some serious injury. I assumed it would feel better in a couple days. I was only doing like 225 and I never felt a really sharp pain or anything I just remember it hurting afterwards and basically it never went away.

7. Knightmare X

I had an MRI a week ago, they called me on Friday and that is what the doctor said it was.

8. Undefined

Undefined New Member

i've said it before, ill say it again. reverse hypers are a bad backs best friend. find a way to do them. it will be worth it.

9. Knightmare X

ok thanks for the good advice, I'll see what else they reccommend I get the epidural

10. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

can you give some more info on what kind of pain you've been having? I did something (possibly weights or basketball) and it just started hurting one day.. thought it was minor and would go away but its still hurting after a few weeks :(

11. Knightmare X

Well, it is basically a constant stabbing pain in the area of my back opposite of my abdominals which is the lumbar portion of the back. Also at times it just feels really tight and if I put pressure on my back it pops and cracks alot.

12. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

interesting. thanks for the info. keep us informed

13. Knightmare X

14. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

The same thing is happening to me right now. I am having lower back pain but it usually only hurts when I sit incorrectly. I can also sometimes feel minor pain when I am walking. It started when I was working out my lower back and the pain started a few hours later but hasnt subsided and its been two week. Im going in to see a doctor soon but Im scared because my mom had a herniated disc when she was 45 and Im only 23.

15. Knightmare X

well I hope it isn't bad like mine, I'll update in this thread as soon as I learn more, you should do the same

16. Joser

Joser Active Member

:noes: i have a sharp pain in my back too from deadlifting. i took 2 weeks off and then right back into it. when i tried again, i was in pain for a week. now im just trying to avoid deadlifts and squats. i cant even bb row :hs:

i hope you dont have to go into surgery and i hope i dont have a herniated disc

17. Joser

Joser Active Member

thats where im at too..:hs:

18. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

herniated disc, areghhh,

seek serious professional help immediately, the best physiotherapists etc. It's not something to take lightly.

best of luck mate.

19. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

I have a herniated disc(years ago from deadlifting) and recently (June) I changed the tires on my car. I've been having severe pain for months and had been seeing a chiroprator- now my left foot gets a tingle in it. I saw a regular doctor who said it's not related to the disc, but it's pulled muscles- I go for my first physical therapy session tomorrow. I'm really hoping they can help me because the muscles feel like they're tense all the time, especially in my calves- they also gave me a muscle relaxer and when I take it, the muscles just untense and it's wonderful- I want to get back to normal!

20. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

so yeah, I have either a herniated disc or a pinched nerve, and through reverse hypers, banded gm's, lots of core work, some chiro work I have been able to control the pain and slowly start to get better. It is coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the car wreck that fucked it up originally.

21. Knightmare X

yeah I don't know if they give you different stuff if they know it is a herniated disc as opposed to a strain, but when I just thought it was a strain I was in physical therapy for like 3-4 months but it didn't really do much for me...

my epidural is tomorrow morning :noes:

22. turdburglar

turdburglar chicken curry with naan

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc about 4 years ago. I had it pretty bad. Tingling down the leg, in my foot, and a sore back after driving or sleeping for extended periods of time. Stop everything you're doing (any sports, lifting), and stick to stretching 3 times a day. I had the pain for about a year but with some hard work I'd say i'm about 95% recovered now. Avoid any direct pressure on your back, and avoid sitting in the same spot for hours on end. When sleeping, have a pillow or some device under your knees to keep your back flat. Good posture and strengthing the core (abs, lower back, no lovehandles) have defintiley helped. Don't take it lightly as it will reoccur if you get careless. Always use your knees to lift and stretch for at least 10 minutes in the morning, and before sleep even after it gets better. I still avoid deadlifts to this day, but I am back to lifting heavy weights for other excercises, and am able to play basketball without any problems. Best of luck.

23. Knightmare X

Thanks...fortunately I haven't had any pain or tingling in my legs or feet but that is one of the reason it took so long to realize that it was a herniated disc. I don't know if that just means it is in a different location or is less severe. Hopefully they will explain it today.

24. Knightmare X

Well I went to the doctor this morning. The doctor said my L4-5 was herniated causing my sciatic nerve to be pinched. The epidural itself wasn't that bad. He just had to clean my back with iodine then gave me novicane and then did the epidural. It just felt like getting a shot or having blood drawn. It still hurts right now though...I'm hoping it will improve. I'm supposed to wait 2 weeks and possibly get another epidural if it doesn't feel completely better.

25. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

well. my lower back still hurts. Usually the pain is pretty bad after an hour or two after waking up. Only really hurts on the lower left side near my gluteus maximus, hurts when I bend over and it almost feels like something is tingling on my quads and hamstrings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.