Here's something you should throw under your seat.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by HMan, Feb 2, 2006.

1. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I have to preface this with the fact that I'm slowly becoming a flash-a-holic. I've bought some lights that I use a couple times a year at most and I've bought some lights that I use every day and one that I actually carry everywhere with me in a holster on my side. I know most of you won't purchase a $100 LED light though so if you are interested in that light PM me and I'll send you info.

That being said, I'm a member of a message board all about lights and on there I found something I was interested in due to the fact that I'm going to be getting into hiking and camping this summer. It was a small lantern that runs off 4 AA sized batteries and being that its LED based it will run for 8.5 hours (which is actually 3 hours longer than the manufacturer claims). I'll post a link to a wonderful review in a moment but I have to give a quickie note on my own opinion.

This thing is GREAT! I'm actually quite looking forward to useing it on the 10th when I go hiking and camp out. We'll use it as our tent light. I'm likely to go buy a couple more of them and taking one to frost the glass so as to diffuse the light and I"ll leave the rest of them as they come. The quality of the light is great and it seems like something that would cost a fortune. Especially considering that its build quality appears to be superb and the thing actually has a regulator which allows the LED (which is a 1.5 watt unit) to run a pretty consistant brightness for most of the battery's life. The best thing? Its only $19.99 and is sold at Target. I was quite taken aback. Friend that was with me fell in love with it once the sun went down and we tried it out. He's now got me picking him up two this weekend when I go back to Evansville.

Something else that could be extremely beneficial to us motorcycle riders. It has a strobe setting. This could be very handy in a break down or wreck situation when we need to make ourselves more visibile along the side of the road. I have to say, even at distance, the strobe can still really get your attention.

Anyway, here is a great review. I was warned (and rightfully so) not to look in the camping gear for this light. If you head to your Target and its like at least three others I now know of, you'll find it in the section dedicated strictly to flashlights. While there, consider picking up an Inova LED based flashlight. They make several different ones and they are the company that built my tactical light that I always carry with me. I was surprised to see Target selling them. Thats like seeing Wal-Mart carrying something as high quality as Surefire (which is Inova's primary competitor).

I've rambled long enough and used plenty of bandwidth here.
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_lantern.htm

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

look pretty :cool: not much room under my seat though :wtc:

3. V!

V! New Member

That thing looks pretty cool, as a Target employee I can say we must have just started to carry it because i haven't seen it before, but i'll keep my eye out when i'm in there next time.

Either way, I'm :Owned: by underseat exhaust

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont know if that would with my undertail :o

5. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Really? I've got a UFO undertail and there is still enough room under my seat for it.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Might get it in mine with the hump on it but already keep a few things under there

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

buell's have no real underseat storage everything is tucked under there quite nicely, i might be able to rig it into their

8. V!

V! New Member

The 600rr has barely enough room for the toolbag, and the battery is under the driver's seat

I guess i can fit my registration and wallet in there too...:hs:

9. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

I'm owned by speedohealer and the PCIII. I leave the stock toolkit in for emergency's after needing it once and not having it.

Looks like a pretty cool find though!!!

10. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I'm hoping to add a PCIII this spring/summer but dunno if I'll have the spare cash I've got so many other things I'm buying and upgrading.

I wanted a speedohealer or yellow box but since any actual "trips" I make I have the GPS with me, I figure the item would be "moot".

11. z31maniac

Custom map = awesome. What all mods do you have done?

I wouldn't worry about a speedohealer unless you changed the gearing. YEah the stock speedo is off, which also means your bike is racking up more miles on the odo then it really has. But if your like me, you put enough miles on the bike that the resale value is already shit.

12. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Most of my mods are comfort mods. With a bad lower back and a fucked up neck I need all the help I can get when I ride down to the Gap or over to Missouri (Ozarks).

Corbin seats, Heli-bars, HID headlight (low beam), Scorpion pipes...

Next plans are a DB windscreen, lower gearing (three teeth up in back). After that, I'll likely leave it alone unless I get a custom map made for it.

Since I don't have time to upload a good pic of the bike, here is the pic I use in my sig on some boards.

[​IMG]

13. z31maniac

We ride HWY 90 in MO all the time, I'm in Tulsa, then go into Northwestern Arkansas.

I love our 500 mile all day rides during the summer!

14. solid snake

solid snake New Member

what section of the store is this sold in?

15. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Its in the section specifically for flashlights.

16. V!

V! New Member

:eek3::eek3::eek3:

HMan has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Send me a PM......:run:

17. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Sorry bro, I let my membership lapse and now I can only get 5 messages. Cleaned out and PM sent.

18. solid snake

solid snake New Member

ah, I win at reading comprehension

19. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Meh, easy to miss in all that I wrote.

I should add that unlike the others I talked to, the flashlight section at the Target I went to was only one aisle away from the start of the camping gear so...