A&P Here's my needs: Have any recommendations for me?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Chris87, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

I've read the sticky, i've started researching abit, but I thought i'd ask you for some recommendations on what kind of digi cam i should look for, before i go out to the local stores....

main use: taking pictures of various car parts and posting them up on websites for the purpose of selling. Ie. I'm parting out a VW Passat...Take a picture of the dnpipe, host it and make a thread to sell it, profit.

MP - 2.1 would be suffice (I use my sisters right now), but 3.3 would probably be best. Anything more will probably be overkill

Important features:

Long or decent battery life is very important to me. I used to borrow a friends 2.1HP and that fucked would kill 4 AA batteries in 10min if you had the LCD screen going

Easy to use and upload pics. I don't need anything complicated. Turn it on, aim, shoot, that's it. I hate camea's that make you go thru a bunch of menu screen's just to take a pic. It would be nice if it was fast at doing its job too.

I DO NOT need anything re: high zoom, various shutter speed, exposure, light meter, etc. As much as i enjoyed playing with that kind of stuff back in highschool photography, i just don't need it.

And i'm hoping not to spend more than $300usd. The cheaper the better....If it gets the job done properly.

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Why not keep borrowing your sisters to take pics of the remaining car parts if thats all your going to use it for? No need to spend $300 or so on a camera that you'll only use for a short period of time. Hell you could just go get a disposible camera and when you have it developed just get a photo CD and you have your digital pictures there and you only spent $25 or so for everything

3. Chris87

I need a digi. This will be an ongoing thing. My sisters' works good, but its a huge fucking hassle to borrow it, take the pics, drive across the city to her house to upload the pics, resize them, send them back to me, then upload them. :hs:

4. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Ok. You just said you needed it to take pics of parts you had on your VW so I didn't think it'd be that ongoing.

I had an olympus camedia C-3000zoom (3.3mp) and it did the job pretty good. The one thing I hated about it was that when you downloaded images off of it the lens would act like it's zoomed out. I never quite understood why you had to do that but oh well.

Your best bet would be to check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp to better aide you in your search.

5. Chris87

Nice link :bigthumb:

Just got back from the 3 big electronics shops here. Alot of the camera's aren't on megapixel.net for reviews. Some of my top choices right now would be:

*Canon SD100 3.2MP - $299usd
    *Canon A75 3.2MP - $299usd
    Canon A60 2.0MP - $225usd

*Casio QV-R40 4.0MP - $225usd (very fast supposedly)

Sony P72 3.2 - $261usd
    Sony P52 3.2 - $246usd
    Sony P32 3.2 - $210usd

*Sony P71 3.2 - Clearance for $150usd
    Kodak DX4330 3.3 - Clearance for $225usd
    Fugi 2650 2.0 - Clearance for $140usd
    *Minolta F300 5.0 - clearance for $300usd

* are the ones i'm really thinking about... for now anyways.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Dotn know if its over yet, but you can get the Canon A60 for abotu $80 after rebates from circut city. Do a search for "A60" in the main forum....I made a thread about it. I know its only 2MP but for $80 after its all said and done might be a big factor to you.

7. Chris87

Nice. Thanks. I'll look into it. All the camera's were ones that are locally available to me. I'm a Canuck, so i think most online stores don't ship to us. :sad2:...If they do, we still have to factor in the exchange rate, duty, brokerage fees, etc.