A&P Here in Boston...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Mar 24, 2009.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Just got here and it's awesome. I've been here many times before, but I was younger. We're staying on the 21st floor of the Sheraton hotel at the Photoshop World conference. Tomorrow we have our wedding photography class from 10-5pm. Really looking forward to it. I feel like an idiot, though because I forgot my MacBook Pro power adapter. Luckily my boss has his, so we are sharing. I'll be posting pics hopefully tomorrow! :x: This shit is awesome! :bowdown:

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

so jealous. :bowdown:

3. hurleyint1386

Check out some of the classes we get to take: http://www.photoshopworld.com/schedule.html

We're so overwhelmed, we don't know what to take! haha

When we checked in to Sheraton the receptionist told us it had a required $42 per day charge for valet... gay. It's going to cost over $1000 for the hotel and $1400 for the passes... Thank god I'm not paying haha

4. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

so you're gonna tape these seminars, and post em on youtube right? :x:

5. hurleyint1386

haha done!

Just waking up and getting ready then heading downstairs at about noon for the wedding photography class. My boss is using his 24-105mm, so I have a choice between 50 1.8, 17-40 4.0, 70-200 2.8, and a 15 2.8 (although I'm pretty sure fisheye wouldn't be the best for weddings haha). Which lens would you guys take?

6. Keegan

Keegan New Member

If it were Tony Hawk's wedding I'd take the 15mm fisheye ;)

Really though, out of those, probably the 70-200 2.8.

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

:bowdown:

I'd take the 17-40, because your boss is already rocking the long reach, you need something a little different, and personally, having more on the wide end would be more beneficial than more on the long end in this case. Only downside is the f/4.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  8. hurleyint1386

I ended up taking the 17-40 and wasn't too pleased. I wish I would have brought the 70-200, although with out a flash, it sucked. I was shooting at ISO 1600 at f/4 and around 1/10" all hand held, so I wasn't too pleased. I think we got a lot of really great information, although I was under equipped. I've never seen so many 5Dmk2's with 580EX2's and 24-105. It was pretty much split 50% Canon 50% Nikon. Although everyone with a Canon was at least a 40D, and with Nikon, a bunch of people were using D40's and similar. I saw a couple D300's and a D3X, but that's about it. We shot in Old South Boston church with 2 models. It was an amazing experience, although I need to be better prepared. Tomorrow should be an interesting day. I think my boss will take the 24-105 again, but I'm taking the 70-200.

9. Drunken Karnie Midget

y'followed my advice even though i posted it long after you got there :hs: I thought that might be a concern was the F4 just being to damned slow for a church...

10. Keegan

Keegan New Member

:squint: ;)

11. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

Is the Sheraton the one right across from the convention center? I was there for a conference a few years ago.

Did they ever fix those tunnels in Boston or are people still getting demolished by falling tiles?

Boston is a great city though.

12. hurleyint1386

It's actually attached to it. It's nice. I don't see any bad tunnels or anything, but I think I remember what you were talking about haha

13. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm also in the Sheraton, on the 6th floor. The Xavier mens NCAA team is staying in the hotel as well. They made me feel like midgets. The cheerlearders got here today. god I miss college...

The official Photoshop World book is absolutely insane. 900+ pages, 10lbs, and PACKED with all of the notes from just about each and every class taught in the whole seminar. I have the Pro Pass, so i'll be able to pick up a 2nd one on Friday.

I don't have any of the full day classes scheduled, so today I took the following:

Camera, Lights, Lightroom - Martin Evening

Mastering the New Adjustments & Masks Panels - Ben Willmore

Prepare to be Amazed - Vincent Versace (fucking waste of time sales pitch for NIK software... - but in all seriousness, we need to find the NIK Dfine and Sharpener Pro. they were awesome.)

So far this thing has been insane. Got smashed off my face with Rick Friedman and a couple of instructors last night, took tonight off to recover.

Also bought the Hotshoe Diaries after meeting McNally and watching his 45 minute introduction to the book at the Expo.

My class list for tomorrow:

Location Lighting - McNally

Photo Effects and Finishing Touches - Dave Cross

Photography for Photoshop - Katrin Eismann

Flashing for Fun and Profit - David Ziser

Organizing Strategies using Lightroom - Andrew Rodney

*whew* my brain just might explode tomorrow.

14. Drunken Karnie Midget

15. hurleyint1386

I think I might be taking the Photography for Photoshop class today. We're mainly doing the Motion classes today because my boss wants to do more with animation. I forgot about the second work book. I'll need to pick that up tomorrow :noes:

Did you go to the thing last night at The Estate? It was a bunch of old people dancing lol it was pretty weird. But I met Bert Monroy Tuesday and Wednesday. Cool guy.

Well, I need to head to my first class. I'll post back later

16. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The photoshop for photography class was fucking cool. Lots of new things to try out. Made me want to skip the rest of the day and go shoot!

Which I should have done, because the next class I went to was David Ziser's Flashing for fun and profit, which was garbage. I actually left early.

I did go to the estate last night. It was weird. A bunch of camera geeks acting like the band playing was a presidential speech, fighting over position to get shots (which I guarantee all sucked ass...), a bunch of old men dancing around, and a buffet featuring... hot dogs.

Fuck that. I left after I used up my drink tickets. Ended up going down to the lobby for a beer at the sidecar bar, then met some guys who were going over to Bukowski's, so I went along and got smashed up again.... Fucking beer selection in that place is insane. It's cash only though, which is weird.

Oh, and I seriously can't believe the fucking Sheraton charges for internet in the rooms... and it's not even fucking wireless....

I'm chilling in the convention center now, using their free wireless....

17. GMACK24

GMACK24 Active Member

18. hurleyint1386

The Wedding Photography class with David Ziser kinda sucked. He was a dick to his wife lol. He said "Honey, please go get my fisheye" she comes back with his 50 1.4 and he goes "What the hell? I said my fisheye. Go get it"

Also, we were told the internet was free, so the night we checked in and got online, it asked us to log in or what ever, so we called down and they told us that they would take the charge off of the room.

They also charge fucking $42 a night for parking and drive the car 40 feet away and park it in an alley. Talk about some bullshit.

We ended up skipping all photography stuff today. My boss wanted to do all motion graphics, so we did a lot of stuff with photoshop extended and after effects which fucking kicked ass.

Tomorrow's the last day and I wish I could stay. I'd actually consider moving to Boston. I've got 2 sisters that live here, so I might consider it :hsd:

19. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

My roommate won the Guru award for photography yesterday

then we went out and got hammered... pretty sick

[​IMG]

20. hurleyint1386

Awesome. We saw all the awards on Wednesday. A lot of those things were pretty cool. The restoration one was absolutely insane

21. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Yeah I saw that one. Just absurdly amazing. My roommate said everyone was just like what the fuckk.

The best in show was fantastic as well.

22. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Can you see these awards online anywhere?

23. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Wish I was in Boston, not in this shit hole country people call Qatar :wtc:

24. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

25. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

yeah, the guru awards were fucking amazing. I wish I woulda thrown my Noir stuff in there just too see if it would have gotten any attention, but I really like the stuff they picked, so i'm not upset that I didn't throw anything in the ring...

I went to the panel thing tonight... Never realized Moose Peterson was a badass landscape photographer too... His landscapes were as badass as his wildlife stuff...

Hit 'Legal Sea Food' tonight with a couple guys after the panel. Great food. good beer. Rolling in now, gonna relax the rest of the night. Hit the gym tomorrow AM before the classes start up.