A&P Here I will post noob questions as they come to me...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by verbal, Feb 4, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

First question, when to up the ISO. I know the higher the ISO = the more noise. So I'm guessing upping the ISO is a last resort type thing. Am I right?

Second question, is it better to keep the white balance on auto or set it manually? If manually, is it better to set it manually to one of the presets or true manual?

I'll eventually have more questions which I'll post here as they come to me, so tune in later when you see this thread bump. :)

2. 1. higher iso is generally for not resorting to flash, but if you shoot @ 100, you will let more light in

2. until you've figured out white balance, don't mess with it. shoot auto and adjust in photoshop

3. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I would figure setting the white balance would be one of the primary steps to taking sweet pics.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

That's another thing. Should I choose flash over ISO? I was playing around at our superbowl party tonight and went higher ISO over flash.

Flash came out dark background, higher ISO no flash came out a little blurry and orangish yellow even though I set the white balance for tungsten.

I just really want to learn how to take good, realistic looking pics taken by hand without the flash when possible.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

ISO settings amplify the signal from the sensor, this adds noise. As the ISO setting gets thrown into the mix with your other exposure settings, it is useful for bumping exposure when you can't compromise on other settings, usually the time of the exposure (shutter) for example: when hand holding in low light to prevent blur, or stopping a moving object.

if you are shooting a scene that doesnt move, a tripod is generally a better option as you can keep the ISO as low as possible and get the best image.

Generally you use ISO as a last resort but I would definitely not call it a replacement for a flash.

Flashes have limited range and it is usually hard to get an even spread of light, so they are often not very useful for lighting a large area (without going to extremes)

Flashes beam their own light which can overpower the colours or shadows of a scene and make it look flat and boring.

Using a higher ISO boosts everything evenly overcoming these issues, at the cost of noise (which is generally only apparent above about 400).

6. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Shoot raw and worry about wb in post.