MMA Henderson to leave the UFC???!??

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ITR06, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

As strange as it seems now, there was a time when the Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping fight at UFC 100 was thought to be a #1 middleweight contender's match. Then, Nate Marquardt blasted Demian Maia, Vitor Belfort ran over Rich Franklin, and suddenly things began to get complicated, both in terms of the UFC's middleweight title picture and Hendo's short-term career plans. It's obvious now that the UFC wants Vitor to be the next challenger for Anderson Silva's belt (despite the fact the Belfort has never competed in the UFC at 185 pounds), with the next title shot going to the winner of Dan vs. Nate. Unfortunately, Henderson isn't currently signed to the UFC. A new report on Sherdog informs us that Dan has been a free agent since last month, and his latest round of contract negotiations with the UFC last week didn't produce a signed contract:

“It didn’t go quite as I hoped. Let’s put it that way,” Henderson told Sherdog.com Wednesday. “It could have been a lot better. Obviously I feel my value has gone up enough to warrant what I’ve asked for. I don’t think I’m being greedy by any means. There’s a lot of numbers being thrown around out there and I feel I should be paid what I ask for. They feel like, I guess, I’m not worth that though.”
    Uh-oh. The phrase "lack of respect" wasn't used, but this could easily turn into another Couture/Ortiz/Rampage situation, where one of the UFC's big stars storms out due to what he perceives as unfair treatement. For the record, Henderson's last performance earned him a base salary of $100,000, a win bonus of $150,000, and a Knockout of the Night bonus of $100,000. Not a bad total haul, but you can see why he might want his guaranteed money to be more in line with the promotion's other stars. (On the same card, Georges St. Pierre made $200,000 to show, and Brock Lesnar made $400,000.) And of course, the Belfort situation is a kick in the nuts:

“Yeah, I’m not real thrilled about that. And I like Vitor. He’s a good guy and he’s been around for a long time, but I just don’t understand why he gets to jump to the front of the line, especially when I beat him.” Henderson said he brought up his 2006 unanimous decision victory over Belfort at Pride 32 in Las Vegas at last week’s meeting, but he was met with puzzled faces. “I think it’s something that might have slipped their minds, that (that fight) happened,” said Henderson. “I’m not exactly sure. You’ll have to ask them on that, but to me, that’s what it seemed like.”
    At this point, Henderson says he hasn't begun talks with any competing organizations, out of respect for the UFC. However...

“Basically anywhere’s a possibility...Since I’ve had a history with Japan, I guess that would be one place I’d talk to. Strikeforce, for sure, would be the next big U.S. promotion.”
    Sure, he could go to DREAM or Strikeforce and immediately become their middleweight champion. But there's only one place that Henderson can have his rematch with Anderson Silva, and that's within the eight walls of the Octagon. Will personal pride be enough to keep Hendo in the UFC? Or will Strikeforce pull up quick to retrieve it?
    Copy and pasta cage potato

My thoughts are Dan isnt going to get any where near $100,000 from another org. Him holding out on a contract to just make alittle more money is going to cost him more money in the long run. Just like it did to everyone mentioned in this article. The UFC has all the huge stars by the balls. If you dont like what the ufc has to offer thats 2 fucking bad. Go to another org and make $30,000 to fight a nobody. Sad since dan is a awesome guy :(

2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Kinda saw this coming

3. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

4. Wckd2

Wckd2 OT Supporter

I still don't understand how Vitor beating Rich at 195 entitles him to a title shot at 185

5. Wckd2

Wckd2 OT Supporter

Hendo/Silva for the title and Vitor/Nate for next title shot would've been better imo :dunno:

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

to be honest, i really think Nate has done the most- his only loss since his first fight with anderson was a fight he would have won if it wasnt for him kneeing Thales is the face while on the ground.

Should be
    Nate/Anderson
    Hendo/Belfort

Also, I think the UFC is giving Vitor the shot because Andersons camp stated they wernt interested in having him fight those 2 guys he already beat until they fought each other

7. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

agreed, but it's business

the casual fan would rather see a new matchup rather than a grudge match

8. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I don't think its about ANY of that. I think Dana White just wants to cash in on bringing in Belfort. Past history on Belfort says that he buckles to the pressure. I think Dana wanted to see if this would happen this time too. It didn't but who's to say if Belfort fights somebody else and loses, well their goes the UFC's investment out the window.

If Belfort smashes Silva or just wins then this could set up a big rematch with Silva later OR even if Silva moves up in weight then that leaves open the door for Belfort to fight the other contenders like "Nate the Great" or Henderson.

9. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Hendo can definatly make the money he wants outside of the UFC. Strike Force might be able to dish it out and the japanese promotions can afford it and on top of that he is a legend out there.