Helping out a female friend lose weight...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Dzl, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dzl

Dzl New Member

Hello all,

I am helping out a few female friends lose some unwanted poundage. I've done some searching and read all the newbie fatloss stickies. I am still unsure as to what to advise them to eat. I know for us guys, the cutting diet goes, high protein, low carbs/fat and a daily caloric intake of about 10-12x bodyweight. However, I am trying to help them change their lifestyle and not just go on a temporary diet/cutting phase.

Some things I have already told them:
    1) Forget fast food joints.
    2) Start eating 6 small well-balanced meals a day.
    3) Some form of exercise 3-4 times a week.
    4) Must have will power :p

Now the question comes down to what to eat. For protein, I have lean ground meat, chicken breasts, tuna, and eggs. For carbohydrates, I have wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice, potatoes, and all the veggies they want.
    Any other foods to include? I want to provide them with alot of variety so that they can eat a variety of foods and not eat bland meals like chicken and tuna every single friggin day (I hate cutting :p). Any thoughts?

As for working out, I have a workout regime in mind that includes some light lifting and cardio. I have told them that building some muscles will help them burn more calories throughout the day and that they will not get huge like the majority of females think.

Also, for any of you that have provided your female friends with workout/nutritional advice, can you please chime in?

Thanks for any input.

2. Rummy

Rummy "bored and extremely dangerous"

if I was up your ass you'd know where I was
    if you're gonna eat a reduced calorie diet and want to be generally healthy, you should make the calories you do eat nutritional

edit: also you can't just tell her to get "some kind of excercise" you have to stipulate intensity. It should be enough to make her suck wind and work up a good sweat.

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  3. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If they're the typical not-working out at all girl, just going to the gym in the first place will help them. Encourage them to make small changes- first week, drink more water. Second week, more veggies. Third week, something else. It has to be something maintanable or they'll drop it right away.

And for the love of gods, encourage them to lift :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.