Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by davidI, Jun 22, 2003.

1. davidI

davidI New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    I have Windows XP Professional installed on one of my old computers. Everytime I turn the computer on it runs through it's start up but then goes to a screen saying

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the originial Setup CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I read that as saying I need to toss the windows xp cd-rom into the cd drive so that it can boot from it on start-up. Only problem is that it won't boot from the CD. I have the BIOS set so that the CD-Rom boots before the Hardrive but everytime I restart the computer with the windows cd in it won't boot from it. I unplugged the hard drive and booted up again and I got the same error message. This is telling me that the problem is occuring before the computer even gets to booting from devices. How could there be a windows error message without the Harddrive plugged in!?!?

I'm sooo confused! Someone help!
  2. Khabi

Khabi Guest

okay, you're close. It doesn't want you to boot from the CD it wants you to use the cd's repair option. I'm not positive on how its going to be, I've only used XP once, then I uninstalled it and went back to win2k. Its kinda like you're going to do a fresh install. You put the xp CD in the drive, when the computer starts it will say something like "Press any Key to boot from CD". Press something :) Then after its done loading it will give you a few options, on of them should be Restore. Press "r" and it will walk you through the rest.