HELP!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Smokey McPot, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Smokey McPot

Smokey McPot

I just purchased a iMac G3 for 10 bucks and i would like to have a new newer OS than 9 so is there any way i can get something new online for free?
    Also there is a USB plug coming from inside the computer that plugs into the USB port. Does anyone know what this is?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You really can't run anything other then OS 9 on a G3. OS X is painful. Just stick with 9.2.2.

3. Smokey McPot

Smokey McPot

Ok that's cool since im only using it for limewire so i don't fuck up my Laptop. But I can't figure out how to hookup to my internet via a LAN, i have the ethernet cable plugged into it and everything but it will only let me connect to dial up. But do you know what the cord coming out of the case and plugging into the usb is?

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That seems a bit strange. Could be from one of the upgrade cards they sold for those things but I'm really not sure. What happens when you unplug it?

5. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

Open the case and take a pic.

:eek3:

6. Smokey McPot

Smokey McPot

lol i dono i dont really notice a difference. how do you open up the case?
    could it be for wireless internet?

7. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

damn son. you need a crash course on computers. have you ever tried torrents instead of limewire?

8. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

the only X I know of that even ran well on that kind of mac was Mac OS 10.0

9. Morpheus647

Morpheus647 New Member

Is this one of the big boxy ones? I was running OSX on mine and it ran fine, from what I remember.

10. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Take pics of USB thing? :dunno:

11. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

OK!!! you can run os x decent provided you meat these:

1. g3 400mhz+
    2. 512 mb ram+
    3. 120 gb hdd with a 8-16 mb buffer and 7200 rpm or higher

this will speed the machine up dramatically, and thus , allow you to run os x 10,4,11 or lower, with enough oomph to run limewire, and torrent progs. I ve done it, and it was awsome , because it would do all my downloading, while my good hardware was powered down

edits: a 333mhz will run it decent too

the 233mhz will need extensive upgrades not worth the effort, unless you get the 600mhz g3 upgrade card with firewire.

12. SuperCzar

I ran 10.3 on a Pismo powerbook fine a couple of years ago.

500mhz G3
    256 MB ram
    ~10 GB hd

It can be done. Just download a copy of Panther.... Tiger if you're feeling bold. Leopard will be a joke on it.

13. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

leopard won t run, all g3 hardware is locked out. Panther was fine with 256mb of ram, but tiger... you need more juice, from experience, jsut to run comfortably, not blazing, but comfortable.

14. SuperCzar

One CAN bypass the installer requirements, although I wouldn't recommend it for anything that is so far behind the times.

And I don't know about running Tiger on older hardware, the oldest hardware I've ran it on was a 1.25GHZ iBook G4... Ran fine on that with 1gb ram.

15. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

on all g4 agp graphics, yes you can bypass the requirement. On g3s however, and pci graphics g4 , you cannot, I did crazy research. Leopard needs altivec to run properly( no g3 has that stock), and it requires atleast agp and quartz extreme. The quirky thing is, I built a g3 powermac up, and i flashed a nvidia PCI 5200fx pc card with a 5200fx PCI-E mac rom, giving it quartz and core image. While this was great, the lack of altivec in the g4 disabled all 3d applications. So, core image is dependent on the cpu, more then apple likes to share... Then I installed a 1ghz G4 upgrade. In 10.4, this allowed all 3d stuff with opengl to run again. So, other then not havign agp, it met all requirements, but no dice. the cpu upgrade needed software to be recognized ( not avaiable for 10.5) and the logicboard was flagged as "banned" hardware ( console tells you this), so sadly there is no workaround. I looked like crazy. Unless it is a native cpu upgrade that does not require os drivers to run, it will not work, and if its a g3, it won t work, period. If you upgrade the imac g3 with the g4 chip, you can install leopard, but using the bypass only, since it meets graphic requirements (AGP and quartz) and cpu requirements (altivec). That upgrade is firmware based. A few g3 powerbooks can be tricked too via a g4 upgrade. Other then that, no dice.

Leopard officially cut off the g3 and os 9 for good. ( all this is from built, tested, and heavy research experience)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  16. SuperCzar

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apple loves to force the upgrades.

17. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

Oh I know, its kind of sad, because that mac was hooked up to my hdtv 42" LG, ran full resolution and ran Halo full res and 2x multisample fine. It would of been comfortable with leopard in terms of performance and not slow, even with its pci video slot. Too bad I guess, its sold to a friend who is happy with it on his hdtv as a dvd player/ entertainment center.

18. Smokey McPot

Smokey McPot

Well i think the USB thing is an ATI graphics card because on the extensions list there is an ATI driver, but it could have came stock.

19. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

take me a picture of this thing, otherwise i can t help you out.

20. Smokey McPot

Smokey McPot

it's fine. for now im just tryin to work out the problems in my other thread.

21. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

this is a all in one right? its the monitor with a computer, or is this a tower?

22. Smokey McPot

Smokey McPot

all in one.