help with XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chevy350, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Chevy350

Chevy350 OT Supporter

I reinstalled xp a few months ago, and now everytime i turn the comp on i have to go through these dumb screen of clicking my username with the little box on it. How do i go back to the old way.

Also when i hit ctrl + alt + delete, i only get the performance window, not the menu with the stuff running in the background. Could someone direct me on how to get back to the old way i had, and possibly tweak it a little, its a little slower than it used to be also. thanks

2. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

control panel -> user accounts -> change the way users log on or off and uncheck the use welcome screen.

3. Chevy350

Chevy350 OT Supporter

tried that, still gives me a prompt for a password. I just want it to go right into windows. Also the task manager just comes on and shows me how much cpu usage in %. I want it to where i can terminate stuff that is running in the background if need be.

Thanks for the reply though.

4. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

Delete the guest account if one is present. For the process problem try double-clicking anywhere on the screen. Then that should bring up the task/performance/etc. tab. Then click the task tab. For the "speeding up windows" problem. I like bootvis from windows.com and then turn off un-needed things with msconfig. Also try running ad-aware or spybot s&d if you haven't already.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

tweakui (google) will allow you to auto-login to a given user account.