Help with with this car.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by greenpillow, Jul 28, 2009.

1. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

Well my husband is deployed and wants me to buy this for him before he gets back

:1996 Subaru Impreza wagon, all-wheel drive, 5 spd manual trans, 2.2 4cyl. the car has 188XXX miles on it, tires are relatively new, does not burn oil, runs very well, shifts well, AC blows cold, replaced the water pump and timing belt 6000 miles ago. The car is mechanically sound and has given me no trouble since I have owned it, it has been my daily driver. It was a one owner car before I bought it a year ago. Cosmetically, its in decent condition. The only reason I'm parting with it is I bought a truck need the cash to pay it off. Looking for $2000

Deal or no deal?

I know NOTHING about cars. I have someone who is going to test drive it to make sure the clutch works and the gears are in good shape.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Pretty high on the miles but those are bullet proof cars.

Edmunds.com

Here it says that car would go for 1-1.5k. Depends on the area. You'll have to take a look at it and judge it for yourself. If you can, bring along someone who knows at least a bit about cars. Some people that have more experience with this subbie might be able to tell you about warning flags specific to it.

3. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

Well I dont have too many friends who know about subbies .. mostly about trucks :p lol but I know up in Washington lots of people had old ones with high miles.. and they still ran well.. But if anyone would be willing to tell me about the common problems to look for that would be wonderful:wiggle:

4. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

this can be my way of supporting the troops lol.

make sure the axle boots arent ripped, especially the front outers. if you live in a rust belt area the oil pans sometimes rust through on the bottom.

the 2.2 is a ROCK SOLID motor, its not interfearence so if the timing belt snaps you just throw a new one on. One problem though is they leak oil from EVERYWHERE!!! as long as its not reaaal bad though dont worry about it. just be prepared to add.

I have a 93 wagon with 215k on the 2.2 and its still going strong

5. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

ok.. so axle boots... where would thoes be.. and what would it look like if it was ripped? :hs:

6. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

didnt work out.. he was not on time..