help with websites and databases

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Jun 8, 2003.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

How do I make a database driven website? (dont know what else to call it) Like a used car or dating website. Where a user can set up a profile with their own info and search for other info. What are some programs for this? How difficult is it to interrogate into a website?

2. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Well this would require some kind of skill in programming. Do you have any knowledge of programming? If you have been educated with a language such as PHP your fine. It's easy to make these websites. It's just a series of scripts pulling information from a database. If you dont know any programming languages I would suggest that you just hire someone to build whatever it is that you need. It's easier than trying to learn it all in one night and try to attempt a large project. :nono:

3. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

ya that's a pretty hefty project. :/

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If you're willing to learn and you have some time, its not difficult to do. The trick is how willing are you to do it yourself (which you haven't made clear in your message).

You might get lucky and find some open source apps out there that do what you're looking to do. But you may find that they're a bit rough around the edges and do things a little differently then how you'd like them to work. This means you end up tweaking someone else's code and I'm not always a big fan of that (its usually a mess to look at).

Building from the ground up is a great way to learn. You have all the control in the world to oversee how the app works.

For projects like this, I'd recommend finding a book or two - especially if you're not familiar with any web scripting or database technology.

5. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Yeah Astro is right. The only real way to to build a project like this is from the ground up. It's not quite a geocities editor if you catch my drift. It's going to take alot of knowledge so you will want to learn the basics first. Don't be afraid to learn. If your looking to learn a language fast, I would check out PHP and also MYSQL for your databases. Best of luck.

6. quzur

quzur Active Member

Yes, I am willing to learn. I would rather do it this way. I was thinking there might be a program like dreamworks is to html for this kinda stuff but I guess not. What would be a good book to get? What else would i need?

7. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

dreamweaver ;)

8. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

This is what you need. TUTORIALS ONLINE are a must to learn how to make certain scripts. Pick up a book on the basics.

Check out www.borders.com or www.amazon.com and search for stuff. Read people's reviews on books. Thats the best way to find a good book. My advice, pick a language and stick to it. Be a man, learn PHP and MYSQL and enter the new era, OPEN SOURCE :yum: :bigthumb: :wiggle:

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Dreamweaver - yuck... If you don't have mad typing skillz, then Dreamweaver is actually ok. But you don't need it to do web development.

Anything that will do syntax highlighting for both HTML and the language of your choice will work great. There's a ton of stuff out there. I use Edit+ for all my web dev (ASP, Java, PHP, HTML, JavaScript, etc).

There's a lot of material online. It also depends on what works for you when it comes to learning stuff like this. http://www.php.net is an awesome resource for PHP commands. The reason I suggest checking out some books is there's a ton of commands listed on php.net, but which ones do you really need? A book will help streamline the development process. I'm sure there's some good tutorials on the web too - although I personally have a better time learning a language from a couple books and using online tutorials for the particulars that the books didn't cover or I want to see how others solved similar problems. But its all on how you prefer to learn...

PHP and MySQL are a great combo. You can do just about any web app you can dream up with these two tools.

Lets assume you go with PHP/MySQL, I'd suggest starting somewhat slow. Create a basic web page with a sprinkle of PHP - can really be anything. Just experiment and get a feel how it works. Once comfy, start playing with MySQL and setting up a table and some data. Then persuade PHP to talk to that table - get it to add, delete, update data in there. Once you can do all this, then you're ready. A good web app is really just a combo of all of these concepts. Its how you mix it together to make it work that counts.

10. quzur

quzur Active Member

That sounds good...but I have no idea what PHP and MYSQL is. :hs: