Help with wax removal on trim!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Esby, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Esby

Esby New Member

I just recently detailed my car, and got a bit of wax on some black plastic trim on the underside of the rear bumper. This stuff will not come off - and it is completely ruining the look of the freshly detailed car! I have scrubbed it with water, car wash and water, goo-gone, and goof-off, and nothing has worked. Any recommendations on how to get this off so my trim piece looks good again? The trim piece is black plastic and has a grain to it, and the wax I used was Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Try a strong dilution of APC, if that doesn't work maybe a trim restoring product.

3. Esby

Esby New Member

What is APC?

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

All Purpose Cleaner (APC)

5. Esby

Esby New Member

Awesome! I'll give it a try. Maybe I am just not scrubbing enough. I have been using a terry cloth towel to scrub it - maybe I'll try a toothbrush and the APC to see if it works. Thanks!

6. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I've been told to microwave peanut butter and work it in with a toothbrush, I might just try it today before I wash my truck.

Also, get a new wax, you shouldn't be using something that stains plastic/trim.

7. Esby

Esby New Member

I don't think that it stained it - I think that because of the texture of the trim, the wax dried and I just can't wipe it off. Hopefully the toothbrush and cleaner will work to remove it.

I have never heard about the peanut butter thing... Maybe that is worth a shot if the other thing doesn't work. Thanks!

8. Goat

I don't exactly mean stain, I mean if it sticks in the trim like that then buy something else, you shouldn't have to deal with such a problem.

and I just realized I forgot to try the peanut butter thing today, dammit :mad:

9. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Perhaps the peanut butter thing works because it acts as like a microabrasive?

10. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

The problem you're trying to solve is that you have small bits of wax in the dimples of the material, right? You should use something that will reach into those areas and loosen up the wax (i.e. toothbrush, maybe a waffleweave MF towel)? I don't know how deep your texture is on the trim. Do you have a picture?

Have you tried clay? Maybe a toothbrush and some quick detailer? I dunno, just guessing.

11. Goat

I think it's the oils, if it just needs an abrasive then a good polish would work

excellent av btw :bowrofl:

12. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

wd40? if not, just dye it back to black.

13. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

did it work?

14. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

15. Worker#2

Worker#2 New Member

I had good luck with an oil based dressing. I would just spray some on a terry towel and smear that part of the towel over the plastic trim. I'm not sure if it gets rid of it but I haven't seen once I applied it on.