help with video capture prob

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chansigril, Nov 21, 2003.

1. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

hey all.

i'm having a prob i hope someone can help me with. first off, i'm doing video capture and editing. the video is initially created in powerpoint, it is then captured using camtasia studio 2 and converted into avi.

now, system specifics:

processor: athlon xp 1500+ (running at 1.35 ghz)
    ram: 512 mb ddr 2100
    video card: 64 mb nvidia gforce2 mx
    sound card: sb live

here's what i've tried:

1. capturing in resolutions ranging from 800x600 to 1280x1024
    2. disabling hardware acceleration (manually and through camtasia)
    3. fps rates from 10 to 25

none of this has fixed my crappy capturing. i've seen movies produced with the same software that are excellent. it plays fine as a powerpoint presentation, equally well when capturing, but once in .avi (not even produced, the raw .avi file) it is choppy, crappy fading, crappy animations, etc. even once it is produced using camtasia, still crappy. note that the audio is flawless. the movie is alright, it's still watchable, but i want a quality product, dammit, not something that looks like i hacked it together!

i'm stumped. have i hit some type of limitation, video card perhaps? any knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I am not familiar with these programs, do you just import the .ppt file, or do you run the program to do full screen video capture and then start the powerpoint presentation?

How large in MBs and long in min:secs, is the raw .avi?

Assuming your running WinXP, what I would do is get everything set-up, then press ctrl-alt-del, and check the system stats to see which ones are maxxed out.

3. chansigril

thanks zourn.

i run the powerpoint present and do a full screen capture. the files vary from 9 to 50 megs, running between roughly 45 sec and a minute and a half.

i am running win xp. great idea to use the manager, i don't know why i didnt think of that :big grin: i'll give it a go and be back.

4. chansigril

nothing unusual going on in task manager. resources are used by powerpoint, camtasia and a system file windows uses to manage imaging (required). cpu hit 100% during some slide changes, however! any other ideas?

*EDIT*
    alright, the problem seems to be directly related to capturing a powerpoint presentation. i am able to capture video from the net (yahoo news) flawlessly and have various transitions through websites happen, also flawlessly. wtf?!
    */EDIT*

i'm going to keep poking around, as well as see if it's possible to simply import instead of capture, but i sincerely doubt it. any other suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. thanks!