WEB Help with using a Domain on a new host

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Hi,

Up until now I have been hosting a site with GoDaddy and also purchased the sites domain name through them.

I am planning to transfer the site to a free hosting account at 5gbhost.com/freeplan.html .

I have to transfer the domain name from GoDaddy to this new host when i sign up, but have never done this before.

How do you do the transfer? I would like to learn the process before starting it all, and am also wondering will it cost any money to transfer the domain?

Many thanks for any help with this.

Swerve :)

2. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

you're not gonna transfer it. You go into godaddy's settings and chnge their DNS to the DNS that 5GBhost.com will provide you with. THen there needs to be a setting withing 5gbhost.com settings where you can add your domain name. you can always register domain names with godaddy and then just point them to another host. you do that through a dns address. it's very simple after you've done it once

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Oh OK, this sounds quite simple. Thanks for the help, I will be trying this tomorow. :)

One other thing, the site is a link directory, will the email address still work via Godaddy aswell? Or will that have to be changed in some way to still be operational?

Thanks.

4. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

have that new host give you their pop info. once you point the domain somehwere else that somewhere else also needs to take care of the email as far as i know