Help with UNinstalling RedHat

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ijustwantpics, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

I've never really worked with RedHat but I recently picked up a used box with it installed and I'd like to switch to Win2kPro.. What do I need to do to remove RH?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

insert win2kpro cd, boot to it, when asked where to install, delete all existing partitions.

3. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

I tried that and it doesn't want to boot from the win2k cd, it will boot with a win98 but fails after I try to format.. wtf am I doing wrong?

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The Windows installer might not recognize the Linux partitions, I know I had that problem with the NT4 installer. I'd recommend throwing in a Knoppix CD, booting it up, deleting the Linux partitions using gnuparted or fdisk or whatever, then boot the Windows CD and install as if there was never anything on the computer.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

w2kpro should have zero problems deleting the partitions. It wont know what they are, but it'll be happy to remove em.

6. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

one of my friends had a problem with this it really sucked and I dont know why this was
    i gave him the fedora core disks to try out and he made the mistake of installing those first and windows refused to play second partition
    then the win98 disk he was using just wouldnt delete the partition it would format or create(which wouldnt work because it wouldnt install on second partition), but not delete. And it wouldn't format the ext2 because it didnt realize what it was
    we tried to go into fedora installation and delete the partitions then quit the installer but it wouldnt actually change anything until the installation started and wouldnt let us make a FAT partition for the first one an an ext2 for the second
    so i gave up and then he messed around with it for a while and messed with the bootloader and eventually after a couple hours of him just randomly doing things it told him he had created a loop partition and it was going to have to delete them all so he was like YESS and clicked ok
    and then windows installed fine

7. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

Mine would never freaking install!...so i can't help ya there. lol

You might have to try installing a new OS (operating system) to overwrite the existing os.

8. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

Well I got it to the point where it's telling me OS not found when trying to boot. But I still can't seem to get it to install off the win98 or 2k disk. It still will only boot with the win98, but once it starts the install it stops instantly, saying there was an error! :hs:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004