Help with this designing this room.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DieselUV, Jan 8, 2009.

1. DieselUV

DieselUV OT Supporter

Wife and I are having a hard time filling up this room. Right now we don't use it. First of all, that light will be the first thing to go. It's supposed to be the family room but we use the living room for that. We already have a dining room so we thought about making this into a casual dining/bar area. The flooring will be replaced sometime in the future. I was going to buy an under cabinet wine fridge and one for beer and make a "bar" along the back wall where the sliding glass door is. A 32" lcd will prob be mounted to the opposite wall, the wall where the banister is. Wife wants a table of some sort in there as well. Any suggestions? :x:

[​IMG]

2. fatass

fatass New Member

well, you've got the look of a mental institutional ward down

3. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

why do you have one of those fold out plastic tables in there?

get it outtt

4. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

any chance of replacing those floors? wood would change the entire room.

5. Brujo

Brujo New Member

what is the rest of the house's flooring. wood would do wonders, but it'd be odd to only have one room with it.

pics of the other rooms to see what you're working with and your current style?

also, what other rooms fill into it? just the dining room?

6. DieselUV

DieselUV OT Supporter

it's not there anymore. we had people over and used it to put food on.

we'd love to do wood floors but we just got the house and don't have the budget for it yet. there's a rug in there now from west elm. i guess i should've taken a more recent pic.

we'd do wood on the whole floor when we do it.

kind of adjacent:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. DieselUV

DieselUV OT Supporter

here's how my condo looked:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DieselUV

DieselUV OT Supporter

new pics of the house:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    right now we just pile shit in there. she wanted that west elm table because it was decent and only $75 at the outlet. i told her i'd rather not build a room around a cheap table that is hard to match other pieces with because not much comes in "walnut." i can buy one thing at a time but she wants to fill the whole house in one trip. so we're butting heads about decorating.

9. cedric

I like the dining table, sofa and ottoman, but the coffee and side tables just aren't doing it for me. I think the ottoman would be better off in the coffee table's place with the addition of some more seating around it. Right now it just doesn't look like there's a reason for the placement of any of the furniture. It's all very disjointed :hs:

Also, for the dining room, it seems like the carpet should be darker. It's sorta just blending in with the tile and getting lost.

10. DieselUV

DieselUV OT Supporter

i suppose i forgot to mention that everything is replaceable. the only things that we want to stay are the formal dining room stuff and the green sofa. that coffee table is just there because we had it. the tv will be moved downstairs and the sofa will be put against the wall. we'd like to get two chairs to go where the sofa currently is. the ottoman is there because we moved the buffet and needed to fill the space temporarily. plus the wife's aunt gave it to us so we can get rid of it easily. i'd like to get a chaise to replace the ottoman but that might be too long. the side tables are from the condo. like i said i'd rather buy peice by peice but she wants to fill everything right away. the main focus is that "family room" with the walnut table.

11. cedric

I dunno what it is about those dining chairs but I hate them. There are spaces where those might work, but your dining room isn't one of them...especially not with that table. Try something like the wishbone chairs by Hans Wegner. They fit better :hs:

[​IMG]

12. DieselUV

DieselUV OT Supporter

which "dining" set are you talking about? the formal or the casual? the black ones we hate. we got them for whenever we'd have more people over. i'm going to try and unload them on CL. do you think square or round table is better for this room? what about the rest of the room besides a table.

13. cedric

the one with the round wood table and black and white legs.

Given the amount of space you have in that room, the dining table looks too small. I'd look into something rectangular maybe that can seat more people.

Maybe something like this? :dunno:

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/pro...tegory=rm_dining_spaces&subcategory=din_table

14. DieselUV

DieselUV OT Supporter

that's pretty cool. i've always liked big sur from C&B. but she thinks that the one we have is a good size because if we put the bar behind it and something like this (below in matching wood) on the opposite wall, it'd be ok:

[​IMG]

the tv would be mounted on the wall over this.