SRS help with talking to an interviewer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by enexgee, May 9, 2005.

1. enexgee

enexgee New Member

Oct 15, 2004

i graduated from a music/recording school in 2002 and moved to atlanta for work. I got a really good internship (unpaid) at one of the nicest and busiest recording studios in town. i mean, i worked for outkast, ludacris, the nappy roots, and the indigo girls while i was there. so 6 months down the road i was still pretty much at intern status, not being paid... which didnt help my drive to work very hard at this studio. so i quit after 8 months of working there. i was pretty sad for a while and blamed myself for blowing such a good oppurtunity, i know it was my fault, i just couldnt click with any of the people there and get in where i fit in.

i quickly got a job working for a company, good salary, outstanding benefits and just working with all around cool people, all aquantinces prior to getting the job.

just recently i have been feeling pretty lost in what i want to do with my life and really desperately wanting to get a job doing what i went to school for and what i love. i saw a job posting for a paid studio position and applied for it. i just got an email back today to do a phone interview tomorrow.

i'm sort of nervous about the phone interview. I'm not very good at interviewing with people. dont get me wrong.. i know my stuff and am certain i am the one for the job. Just right now, i have a very good secure job with excellent pay for my age (32k/year) that will be far greater than anything i'll be getting paid working at a studio, along with guaranteed hours.

what i'm worried about is how i'm going to negotiate and communicate to the studio manager that i REALLY want this job, and i'm the right person for it.
    BUT at the same time tell her i am working at an excellent day job without scaring her off making her think that i'm sketchy about it. sometimes i'm not great with my choice of words and conveying my thoughts.

i'm young and new at interviewing so any help to build my confidence for this interview is welcome. :)
  2. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    the only tips that I can give you, are to be yourself. They are going to hire you for you, in the end.

Also, I would recommend heading to and looking up the term 'interview skills' ...

also, I just saw your last line: "i'm young and new at interviewing so any help to build my confidence for this interview is welcome. "

You want confidence, that comes from within, no-one outside can help you there, champ!! just believe in yourself!! you had to believe in yourself enough to get your current job, and get through school didn't you?? you could accelerate your confidence by joining a gym or something like that ...

anyways, good luck with the interview!! I hope I have been of assistance ...
  3. themtx

themtx Mmm, mmm, Bassios! OT Supporter

Nov 4, 2003
    It does take some practice, that's for sure. The only way you'll get good at interviewing is by dong it a lot, unfortunately. Primarily, I find the ability to assess the interviewer's frame of reference re: the position for which one is interviewing, to be of utmost importance. Try and get a feel for where THEY fit in the organnization, along with an understanding of what the position entails. Probe, ask leading questions ("So explain what you and your colleagues do with respect to x,y, and z (something technically related to the position / field, hopefully)", "how long have you been with company x, and how if at all has your job changed over that time?", show that you want to understand them, their business and/or processes. That's not always feasible if the interviewer is a big bad boss type, but try to work some back and forth into your conversation. Blurting out what you've done, what your qualifications are, etc. / "blowing your load" in the first five minutes makes for an awkward interview, IMO. Be professional, and if the tone / general direction of the conversation permits, then and ONLY then, bring up casual or non-work related topics, i.e., what are her non-work interests, where does he live, etc.

Most importantly, don't OVERSTATE your abilities. A good interviewer will smell those little white lies a mile off and set you on your way rapidly. Again, try assess your audience (HR type? direct superior? VP?) and think of ways the position you're seeking relates to THEIR jobs.

Good luck, hope some of this ramble helps.