Help with sub orientation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Arc, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Arc

Arc New Member

wondering if it would sound better if the face of the sub is facing the front or back of a suv. sub is a jl 10w3v2 in case it matters.

thanks

2. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

They say refiring on JL's site :dunno: I don't think it would matter to much so long as it isn't pointing right against the back of your seat.

3. Arc

Arc New Member

I'm thinking about a "stealth" enclosure, so it would be about 2-3 inches from the back seat. Will this be a problem in a suv?

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

rear firing this is basically why:

the sound waves can bounce off the inside of your trunk and double up when the matching frequency waves meet creating a 'amplified' volume.

my home audio sub sits next to my couch, it rear fires against a hardwood heavy desk (walls are currently too hard to position near), this is a noticeably louder set up (i have angled it differently and even had it firing behind the couch etc etc etc). There is much more impact throughout the couch.yadda yadda yadda

same sound principles apply for ur car

you can also argue that with the rear firing approach sets a longer travel distance for the sound waves, i have once read a explanation of how sound is sort of like a whip, and you want to catch the sound wave at its apex, theoretically u are more likely to catch a lower notes apex when its travel is longer. Considering very low notes are very very long.

No I have not proven this with my own study, but just something to think about.

(I'm adding this stuff to the read first thread asap)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  5. Arc

Arc New Member

so basicly if i aim the sub to the rear like it is now, it will be overall louder. but how will it sound if it is aimed to the seat. am i correct by assuming that it would sound muted and pretty bad? ill include a quick mock up of the box in a sec...

[​IMG]

the light blue area is a plexi piece that will be tinted so it looks black and there will be a light inside that will make it so you can see the sub when you want but looks like a solid box otherwise. same set up with the amp too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  6. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

If your not sound deadening the trunk, i wouldnt recomend aiming it toward the trunk.

How do you like the 10w3v2, im considering one?

7. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I had the 10w3's and I loved them. The V2's are alot better, and pretty damn sexy, but if you wanna save some money you can always buy my w3's :p

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i hope he is sound deadening, it will really clean up the bass with the loss of rattling and reflection of waves

9. Arc

Arc New Member

love em i have three :wiggle:.

any way Ronin what do you think about the setup? will it still sound decent being 2-3 inches off the seat? :noes:

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

get a SPL meter, set it up both ways and measure the differences

11. Arc

Arc New Member

ok thanks do you have a quick place to get one?

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

radioshack has them, theyre not the best but they will help u find configurations that prove loudest.