Help with starting website?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 97gsr, Oct 14, 2004.

1. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

I signed up with dreamhost, (they are having a good deal in hot deals section)

My only experience in creating websites was using geocities back in the day. And that format was really easy to use. But with Dreamhost, I can't seem to figure out how to get started. Am i missing something? I got the year deal for 77cents a month package.

Do I need to have other software like frontpage to do this? Can someone lead to me get started. I just need to find the place where i can type in my HTML and make my front page along w/ links.

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Yeah, that's not gonna be the same as doing it with Geocities. You won't need to get Frontpage (in fact, please don't). All you need is a text editor and a way to FTP files to your new web host. I assume when you signed up, they gave you that kind of information. SmartFTP is a good free FTP client that you can use. All you need to do is create your html files in the text editor, upload them to the web host server, and you're done.

If you need help with the actual HTML, well, that'll take a bit longer... Good luck.

3. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

ok got that. i guess my text editor will be Word and I downloaded Cuteftp (recommended by dreamhost).

so i can write out my html and upload it but how do i direct what i write to be my frontpage? Like the front of OT is "Get your fix" how do i drect mine? theres nothing on the dreamhost panel that shows me.

Am i making sense?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

google is your friend:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/1924/

5. John

John Guest

It takes a long time to write solid HTML that actually LOOKS good :hs:

Look for some templates or something....

6. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Well, the first question is, do you have a domain name registered? Like, if you type http://offtopic.com/ into your browser, you get to OT... If you don't, you will need to get one. Check out domainmonger.com (there are other registrars out there, that's just the one I use). Usually, web hosting companies will have some kind of temporary domain name you can use. You should inquire about that.

Once that's done and you have the file for your home page saved in the appropriate, you should make sure it is named index.html. That is normally the default name for index pages, but it all depends on the server. All this information should have been provided to you by your web host. If they didn't, then you may want to contact them and ask. But, the main thing is the domain name. Without one, no one will be able to get to your website. I'm sure your web host has some kind of temporary one you can use until you get a domain name registered.

EDIT: Also, you're better off using Notepad rather than Word. Word will work, but it has a tendency to add extra crap in, kinda like Frontpage does. At least, that's been my experience. If you are gonna start out hand-coding your pages, just use a plain ol' text editor like Notepad.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: I was just about to suggest this. Download EditPadPro (the trial version works just fine) and edit your HTML using that.

Also, a great HTML reference site is www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html

8. JimmyJimmy

JimmyJimmy Guest

I started with geocities like you. I like the drag & drop quick get it don't style that geocities gives you, but of course your more limited than if you learn HTML code and use notepad.

I use www1and1.com as my host for the PTO website I run for my childs elementary school. They gave me a free domain for signing up with a $7.00 a month plan and they gave me this program called netobject fusion. It's kind of basic, but it does everything I want to do and it's easy. I just want to get the job done and move on, the nets a big place and there's so much more to do than build HTML code by scratch. Well that's my feeling anyway. :bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004
  9. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

yeah i got a domain and everything. its the package that dreamhost is doing. it was real cheap. the index.html is the one i am looking for. I can't seem to find it it but i went ahead and emailed thier support. but i think that is the thing holding me back right now.

10. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

just heard back from customer support and they said they do not offer any kind interface to build the site. so i need to get my own software to build my site. any recommendations?

11. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

when using HTML, you can do anything that you could on the drag-and-drop sites, you just have to learn how.

12. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

All you need is Notepad or any other text editor. The thing is where to put the file. Usually, you will have a folder on your account called public_html or something like that. Just place your home page, named index.html, into that folder, enter your domain name into a web browser, and it should come up.

BTW, index.html is not a file that you need to find. The very first page you create in Notepad will have to be named index.html. You then use CuteFTP to upload that file into the public_html folder (or whatever it might be called on your account).

Cliffs:
    1. Make HTML file in Notepad.
    2. Name it index.html.
    3. Upload to web server.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

13. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

someone else who has seen the light! :bowdown: to EditPad

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I wouldn't say I've "seen the light," I just use it whenever I'm programming/designing on a Windows machine, which is not often. At home I use nedit or good old vi :bigthumb:

15. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

vi is where it's at...

16. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

geocities ? dreamhost? you are doomed, :ugh:

17. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

ok i was able to create the index.html and ftp to the right folder. now how do i make it so when you type in my domain name, it goes directly to the index.html file? right now it just goes to the page that shows my parent directory with my files.

18. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Well, if your web host also takes care of your domain name, you may need to ask them. They'll have to configure the nameservers that the domain name points to, most likely. Although if you are getting a directory listing when you go to your domain name, it may have something to do with the way their web server is configured. Best bet: contact your web host, tell them what's going on. There's a chance that index.html is not the efault name for home pages or something... :dunno:

19. Squally

Squally New Member

AceHtml > *