help with spyware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Loser, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Loser

Loser Guest

I don't know much of anything about spyware...what is it, what is the purpose of it and how do I get rid of it? any info would be greatly apreciated thanks

2. Meat0r

Meat0r New Member

Spyware comes in many different forms but at its basic level - it's not much different to a virus. Except that it doesn't perform malicious acts like viruses but rather more intrusive acts such as reporting back to the host what websites you visit and other stuff.

Spyware usually comes attached to freebee programs; they install themselves along with the program, run in the background and you're none the wiser. But there are many other ways in which spyware can find its way to your hard drive.

Removing spyware can be done using a spyware removal application such as Ad-aware (this is what I use). It just runs a scan like a virus scanner, reports the number of items found on your computer and then deletes/quarantines them. Unfortunately Ad-aware doesn’t monitor your computer in real-time like Anti-virus applications so to find out whether you have spyware on your computer, you’ll need to run the scanner.

That wasn’t a particularly great definition so here’s a website with more information: What is Spyware?