Help with spyware/malware/trojan

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [DWI], Jul 5, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

A friend of mine asked me to look at thier PC laptop.

Symptoms are

1) A Program the makes the desktop background say there is a threat.

2) Constant popups about a trojan being on the system (see 3)

3) Every couple minutes a IE window opens and attempts to load (open page at your own risk) http://www.onlinestability.com

4) Three supposed anti-spyware programs on the desktop (all link to above website)

Everyone seems to recomend using www.spynomore.com when I google the website that it keep attempting to open, but you have to pay to get the program, I was wondering if anyone had any experiance with this and anything to reccomend.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

microsoft's anti spyware program, avg's antispyware program and trend micro's anti spyware program are all good programs.
    Does he have any antivirus software on his computer? Which version of IE is he using? If it's 7, there's a thing to disable add ons under tools, and the only add ons that should be running are java and flash. You may have some stuff from google in there as well if you have the google toolbar, but IMO, the rest can be disabled.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Firstly the popup I keep getting refer to a "Adware.W32.ExpDwnldr"

He has Norton (last update in '05 expired) and Mcafee (last update today) as well as ad-aware and spybot. None of which have this far corrected the problem. IE is version 6 at the moment, I'll get around to those upgrades before I give it back.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

make sure that spybot and adaware are both updated and run them in safe mode.
    the easiest way to start would be to download CCleaner from www.ccleaner.com
    It will go through and clear out all the temp directories, which is where a ton of the malware tends to hide, so that will be a good start.