Help with Spyware/Adware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SQLee, Oct 1, 2003.

1. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

On my old machine that was running Win98, I didn't have this much of a problem, but on this newer one with XP, it's hell! I was having insane popups, stuff installed on my computer that I'd never even seen before, etc. So I got this thing from BulletProofSoftware and it was okay, but it was trialware only, and it expired. Now, as far as popups go, not a big problem anymore thanks to two popup killers. But even after I set up IE to prompt ActiveX and cookies (which I say no, and block from obvious bad sites) I still get programs and bullshit installed on my computer. I have Norton Antivirus, and it can detect them, but can't delete them. Some of this shit won't even delete manually. It's getting so annoying that I'm contemplating seeing what kind of legal actions I can take. Seriously, I can't enjoy the internet anymore. HELP!!! How do I get rid of this insanity!?!?!?

Also, every time I start up my computer, before any program opens, IE asks me if I want to run ActiveX (But there is no IE open, so I click no). Let's see, oh yes, there's this IPInsight shit I can't get off my computer. What gives? HELP!

2. NaftaWRX

NaftaWRX Guest

www.download.com

type: Ad Aware
    download 6.0, run, get rid of spyware and reboot comp

other than that, you might wanna go to Control Panel > Add/remove programs, and delete all the weird crap.
    or else you could Start > Run > msconfig > Startup Tab, uncheck the unnecessary stuff, apply and reboot

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Save yourself a lot of time and agony and reinstall. Sounds drastic but you will thank me later. Then when you're back up and running, make sure you have a firewall hardware preferable, but zonealarm will do.

4. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

Okay, I went through and got rid of some bogus like stuff on my msconfig, seems better, then I removed anything that "sounded" legit but didn't have the option to see support information. I'm about to restart and see how it goes.

5. irichie

irichie New Member

You can also try Spybot Search and Destroy, its free.
    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4505-3514_16-20848563.html?tag=search

You can also goto Start > Run and type in "msconfig" goto startup and check for any suspicious programs.

Here's a list of some common programs you can rule out:
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

Might also try an online virus scan
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    or port scan for trojans?
    http://www.pcflank.com/

Good luck and .. yah reinstall if they still pop up :dunno:

6. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

since they're both free and relatively small, I recommend running both adaware and spybot - they both catch stuff the otherone wont.

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I definately recommend reformatting and starting from scratch.

Also - Adware and SpyBot are great.. but another great one is HiJack This!.. You don't even need to install it.. you just run it and it scans your startup and registry..after you are done, no messy software still installed!