MMA help with some technical aspects of the spider gaurd

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kroneX, Nov 24, 2008.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Well i thought id ask you guys rather than those fucking sherdoggers :p cause all i would hear is 'Dont bother learning spider guard, it doesnt work on teh deadly streets' rather than finding out what i want to know.

Anywho when i play spider guard i usually have my feet in their elbows (as opposed my knees), but i see others that play the spider guard and often loop the foot outside of the arm and back in and under the armpit.

The guy in the black gi attempts to do it here http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1o5X-qfyUq8

My question is what is the point of looping your foot around and under like that? I see others pull them in with that technique but i don't know what for. Can anyone point this out to me the reasoning and the science behind the move and what its suppose to accomplish.

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've never really been taught to loop under the armpit like that either. :dunno:

Mine is one foot in the elbow, sometimes on the bicep. Other foot on the shoulder, bicep, or also the other elbow. Easier to control that way for me. Similar to how he controls this clip (nothing really to do with the sweep being shown):

[y]szOFL17x7-I[/y]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  3. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

The most important thing I've learned (for me) about spider guard is that it's a transitional guard and I'm not expecting to hang out there very long. Control the sleeves, feet in the elbows, move them a little bit, then sweep.

I believe putting your foot through like that allows you more control over their shoulder than just using the hand on the sleeve.

4. Hoodoo

Hoodoo OT Supporter

From what I remember it lets you lock down one arm when you're trying for an armbar, but I don't remember the specifics of how it works. We use it in our sweep too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESHEoEyxIc

5. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

That's what I was assuming also.

6. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I use the outside in hook to do this sweep and to go to fancy omoplatas.

its basically the same sweep as in the first video.

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

if you do that kind of hook correctly (ive heard it called a bicycle hook) it can put some pressure on the bicep with the sharp part of your shin. sometimes this can help drive them into certain sweeps. there is also a triangle, omo plata, and bicep slicer setup from there.

i pretty much never use spider guard though so I cant give you a lot of details on how to use it.

8. kroneX

kroneX New Member

:squint:

Thanks for the advice guys, i guess i can give that same sweep a go with that weird hook, but ill ask my instructor about why he uses it, his a brown belt so i bet his using it for something.

Also i don't really see spider guard as a transitional guard, i like to hang out there, i am comfortable when i have it and i feel i am quite good at defending the pass, and it offers a variety of nice sweeps and submissions. but each to there own

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  9. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Well I am back from training and he said that when people stand up in his spider guard, it helps them pull them straight back in and puts them right into the sweep posted by hoodoo.

He said nothing about any armbars or omoplatas from there. I guess its there if i need it now, but usually i like it if they stand up in my spider guard :) i can usually get a sweep or submission if they are standing in my spider guard.