Help with some quirks of my new computer build *screens*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Toology, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Toology

Toology New Member

Ok I haven't built a computer in awhile, just put together my new board, and im having some issues, OT is always the first place to come for me... first here are a few screens of my major problem, and some double checks from cpu-z

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NO idea why I can't get my processor to show up in system properties, and some games say things like " processor running at 0.0ghz" on start up... though tested seems to be fine... its still really really strange, and I havent come across any way to fix this.

other than that, I am not an overclocker, but I want to know my system is running stock the way it should be... should i be running my ram in duel channel? does it matter" this ram is supposed to be PC2 8500 ... but as you see, it says 6500??

Processor is supposed to be duel core @ 3ghz... yet as you see, core0 is running at ghz... is this right?

Its been a long time since i built a computer, any help on any of these issues, as well as the OK on how my ram/proc is running would be nice... the major thing im hating is my processor not showing up in system properties.

2. Toology

Toology New Member

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

The only real problem i see is that it is in single channel, make sure the ram is in the same colored slots. And your ram timings are likely incorrect, you should set the correct ones in the bios. Everything else looks right. Your CPU is running @ 2GHz because when processing power isn't needed, Speedstep kicks in and drops your multi down to 6 from 9.

Your SPD value says PC2-6400 because a lot of the time the ram requires more voltage than when a motherboard will give on first boot, resulting in the system never posting. So the ram manufacture sets the SPD to a lower spec so it won't have this issue.

4. Toology

Toology New Member

thanks for the help, i solved the mystery of the no-processor by doing a repair of windows, whats the difference between single and duel channel?

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dual-channel is faster, but it requires matched pairs of RAM, like it used to be before SDRAM came out.

6. lowfat

Dual channel has significantly more bandwidth, and is definitely suggested you get it sorted out.

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah, cpu being only 2GHz (6x multiplier, lower vcore) is Intel Speedstep technology, a power saving feature.
    if you run an app that stresses the cpu, it should throttle up to 3GHz (9x multiplier, default vcore). at halt state, it throttles down to what you have on that screen shot.
    you can enable/disable this in the bios (EIST/C1E), but i suggest you just leave it alone.

it IS a problem if it is stuck at 2GHz. thats either a bad chip; or you need to update your motherboard's bios; or an OS' power scheme is messing it up.

re: ram
    there are no DDR2 JEDEC standards above PC2-6400 (DDR2-800)
    EPP is like an overclocked spec of that ram, its a tech developed by Nvidia. this allows higher DDR2 specs (DDR2-1000. DDR2-1066, and so on).
    On most nvidia motherboards, the EPP profile should be detected automatically. others, you need to set it manually.

look at this screenshot, EPP#1 (3rd column on timings table),...
    that is the EPP profile of that ram (5-5-5-15). your mobo is not detecting it correctly (5-7-7-20).
    you have to set ram voltage to 2.1v and set the correct timings on your bios' RAM/Speed settings.

ditto on what the others say about dual channel.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  8. Toology

Toology New Member

ok so i bumped my ddr voltages to 2.1v (checked this with HWmonitor, all good)... didnt change timings, switched to dual channel, didnt change timings...

im still running at 5-7-7-20... any other ideas how i fix this to 5-5-5-15?

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

you have to set those timings manually.
    what mobo?

10. Toology

Toology New Member

figured it out, it was a hidden setting, had to press ctrl + f1 to get them to show up... got it at 5-5-5-15...

now my problem is heat... this e8400 is running stock, not oc'd with stock cooling and it idols at 51-53C and hits 60s during load... seems kinda high to me, but not too high

I tried to OC a bit to 3.4ghz... but couldnt boot at 1.2v which seemed odd... also couldnt boot 4-4-4-15 @ 2.1v :(

11. lowfat

You can't expect to OC on stock cooling, the new coolers are pathetic.

12. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

coretemp?
    and yeah, the new coolers suck donkey balls.

13. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

The Intel stock cooler really isn't all that bad. My Q6600 did 3GHz on it with no problem.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

not the same cooler

new one on left vs the old one that comes with conroes
    [​IMG]

15. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

I've got mine OC'd to 3.6 with stock cooling. Never touched voltage, temps are low.:dunno:

16. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Oh wow. I didn't realize they changed it.

17. Toology

Toology New Member

i think part of the problem is my original mobo was defective so i had to send it back, so the cheap thermal paste that came on the stock cooler got melted on already, after taking it off, its usefulness really went down some.

I got the idol temp to drop to 46C by taking off the back of my desk where my comp sits in so the heat has a place to go... i think i can get it to around 40C if I find a place around here to buy some thermal paste and reapply it.

Don't really wanna spend another $40 on a heatsink... i think i can get away with 3.6ghz on the stock cooler if i get some better thermal paste... atm at load im hitting 62C max end.

18. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

idle man, idle