Help with Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, May 7, 2007.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I normally use pc anywhere to connect to my home pc when I am at work. I have used Remote Desktop to connect to a server on my home LAN so I figured I would just use it instead of pcanywhere.
    I forwarded port 3389 (actually I changed the default via registry and rebooted but for sake of simplicity I'll call it 3389). I have my main machine set up to allow connections.
    Since i only have one machine here right now (at home) I thought I would test it out by opening RD and typing in my IP address and trying to basically connect to itslef. MAke sense so far?
    I just wanted to test before I get to work tomorrow. Type in the IP and username/pass. It will not connect????

I know when I used it on my LAn it was as simple as that. Any ideas?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you changed the server's port, you would have to change the client's too...

Wait - you tried to connect to yourself? Uh... no.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you cannot connect to yourself.

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Umm, why would it let you connect to yourself? Of course this does not work.

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Well, I just got to work and it still won't connect. I did change the port on the remote machine this morning.

Also, PCAnywhere lets you connect to yourself so I was hoping RD would as well. Otherwise it's a bit difficult to test with one machine.

Either way, I still have something configured wrong. Any ideas?

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Change the port on Remote Desktop back to the default, and control who can connect using the authentication built into your home machine, in addition to restricting the port-forwarding rule on your router to only include your office's public IP address. Messing around with changing Remote Desktop's default port causes all sorts of problems, especially when a corporate firewall is in the mix; 3389 is the standard SSL communications port, so they have to let that one through, but they can block pretty much anything else without getting in the way of Joe Employee's daily activities.

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

On my home machine I only have myself in the list to connect. I'll change it back to test it out but I am not on a corporate network and no firewall is in the mix either.

Not sure I follow you on "restricting the port-forwarding rule on your router to only include your office's public IP address".
    At my location I am on dial-up. Yes, I said dial-up. Don't laugh too hard.

8. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I had done all the steps as you and was still unable to connect. I can't remember if it was Windows Firewall or something else, but there was another setting I had to change to allow connections to remote desktop. I'm not at home so I can't look and see, and my home computer is turned off so I can't remote to it :).

9. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Yeah, I'm sure it's something simple. I may end up putting pcanywhere back on my home machine. I know it'll work with that. I was just hoping to use RD since it's already there.
    thanks for the help.

10. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I can only imagine how slow that would be using dialup! Running over a cable connection bothered me.

11. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Oh, it's not fast by any means. But does perfect for what I need. And unfortunately broadband is not offered out in the part of the county where spend most of my time.

12. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Make sure that you are forwarding port: 3389 to the computer you are trying to connect to via your router.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try reading the whole thread. :hs:

14. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Tried again today. I set my ports back to 3389 on both machines. Still can't connect.

One thing I noticed is that I can ping my IP address. Not sure why it will not allow the connection.

15. negative zero

negative zero New Member

16. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

If you changed the default remote desktop port, you need to type IPaddress:portnumber in the remote desktop client, like 12.34.56.78:9999. Make sure the server has a static IP address, because you may have forwarded the port at the IP it had at the time, but if the router was turned off or some other unforseen circumstance occured, it could have been assigned a different IP address.

Also, make sure you're using the external IP address in the client software (the one you receive from www.whatismyip.org), not your local IP address (most likely 192.168.blah.blah).

17. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I've already set the ports back to 3389. My home pc ip address rarely cahnges. I double checked today and it was the same. And, yes I am using the 68.47.xx.xx ip

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

3389 is the well known port for Windows Remote Desktop... but its sure as shit not 'the SSL standard port' and lots of firewalls will filter it explicitly.

19. negative zero

negative zero New Member

The only firewall involved is on my home router. And I have forwarded 3389.

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Is this Windows Server or XP?

21. negative zero

negative zero New Member

both are xp pro w/sp2 and all updates, etc.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I've tried twice, and could never get Remote Desktop server to work on XP SP/2. Others have... but I had the same issue, even on a LAN.

23. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I had it working on my lan with my main machine connecting to another xp 2 machine. Just no w I want to connect my work pc to my main machine and can't get it working.

24. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I dont know what kind of router you have, but I've found mine to act up tons

like, I'll set it to forward a port, and randomly it decides if it feels like it

test to make sure that port is open with a port scanner...if you can ping your IP, it's a good sign, just make sure the router's doing it's job