help with pyramiding I guess?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by crucialkc, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

Before I start lifting, I will warm up. I'm going to use Chest Day as an example. I usually warm up with a few sets of shoulder dislocates and maybe some other RC stuff. Then, I will go and do a couple high rep, light weight sets on bench. After that, I do a medium-heavy weight for lower reps than usual (if I could normally do like 10 or 12 reps, I would only do around 6-ish). Basically, I try to keep myself from getting taxed but at the same time I try to get a pump going.

I then wait a bit and go to my first set. I do all sets to failure or pretty close to failure. Here's where I think I might be having trouble...

here's an example of how stuff goes down:

230 for 12 reps
    rest
    215 for 7 reps
    rest
    200 for 6 reps

etc

usually on my first set, I am able to pick the heaviest weight and bang out a higher amount of reps. on the next set, if I try to do the same weight, I can't do the same amount of reps.. so I lower the weight. Even after using the lower weight, the amount of reps I can do is still lowered. Any ideas on what I should do??

I have manipulated rest periods, ranging from 60 sec to 3 1/2 minutes. I have tried going from a lighter weight/higher reps to a higher weight/lower rep but then I don't get as many reps with the heavy weight. They're obviously inversely proportional. also, could this style of training cause overtraining over a longer period of time? I've dealt with overtraining before and usually just have to take a week or even a bit less off. I've been feeling overtrained for like the last two weeks, and I just took a week off three weeks ago..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.