Help with pc not fully booting up.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZeKs, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

My friend has an HP computer, (dont know exact model) but when he turns it on. It goes through the POST, then you see the Windows XP Pro logo, then you see barely begin to see the window logon screen and boom the pc restarts...this will repeat forever if I do not manually turn it off. ANY ideas would be appreciated, we've been working on it for about 2 weeks already.

Not sure if the hard drive is messed up or what but the hard drive works on another pc.

He did take it out of his original pc, put it in a new one to transfer some files over. Could that of cause any corruption what so ever? thx

2. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

Had this happen to me last week, during the boot up process a little bit before the windows xp boot screen you'll need to press F8 ( just keep pressing it until this happens) then a windows menu screen will come up.. You'll probably need to start the computer in Safe Mode or you can try the option for start windows with last good configaration..that last one worked for me...if it starts doing it after you do that, do a system restore once you boot into windows...

3. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

Did this already. Was booting into safe mode, and again just about when windows is going to startup, boom restart.

4. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

seems like to me it's time for a rebuild...if the hard drive works in another computer, move the hard drive over and save any necessary files, throw in the XP cd and take off

5. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

Well before we go and build another system, Im still wondering if there is a solution to this. Fixing what's wrong is better than building a new pc. The HP is still fairly good. P4, 1.5GHZ with 1 gig of ram.