Help with Outlook/Scheduling Sofware Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CopenKagan, Feb 16, 2005.

1. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

My friend's father-in-law has a business that has seperate schedules for 5 people. What is a good program that they can use to run on each individual computer and schedule appointments that will then be shared on their server machine on drive 'H'. The thing about it is that it must be dynamic so that multiple users are able to edit and save at the same time.

I know Outlook has calendar and appoinment scheduling, but is there a way to make a dynamic database on the server machine with it?

2. kl

kl New Member

What you really want to do is run an exchange server and a domain. That will take care of everything, store it on a central server, allow employees to view everything through webmail or on different PC's with outlook. You'd probably want to run Win 2k server or 2k3 server and all the PC's need to be 2k or XP pro.

3. billbixbysmonkey

billbixbysmonkey more coffee please!!

All that expense for 5 people?

4. kl

kl New Member

It really depends on what you're planning to do with it. Is the business going to expand? Is anyone traveling, working from home ect?

You could do that all with one server and one copy of 2k server. I would assume that they already have somewhat modern PC's for the staff already.

The server could also serve the file/print sharing needs of the company.

If the company wants a system to do this, I would imagine they have other needs for the system as well, but maybe not.

Just my $0.02

5. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

Well, I dont think the business will expand more than 2 or 3 more people. And yes, they want to be able to work from home.

6. red89gt

red89gt OT Supporter

look up microsoft sharepoint its a free program that might fit your needs. We use it here with great sucess.

7. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

Thanks, I'll look into it.