Help with new HD install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kilabeez0, Jun 4, 2006.

1. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

My PC was built in 2002/03 and has a 40 gig WD hd. My IDE cable only has a black master and grey slave plug harness, with the black obviously plugged into the WD. The jumper was set to CS.

I installed Seagates Diskwizard to help with my install of the new hd since I've never done this before. Anyway I plugged the new 120 gig Seagate into the slave harness and put the jumper also on CS since my IDE only has the 2 connects. I spent a couple hours or so copying 20 gigs from my original hd to my new one since that is what Diskwizard asked to do when I booted up windows. It then gave me specific instructions to move the jumper on the old WD from master to slave.....well it was never on master it was on CS....regardless I moved it to slave, I then moved the new Seagate to Master from CS because it told me too....actually it said move from slave to master, but like I said I had both on CS.

Well I tried all configurations and I still cant get it to boot from my new hd. I left it with the black harness plugged into the WD and the slave grey on the new SG. I also have both jumpers back on CS because my computer wont boot any other way.

My computer recognizes the new drive and it shows the 20 gigs of memory I had transfered. I dont know why I transfered that stuff, I thought that's how I could get windows to load from setting the new hd as the boot up drive. Am I wrong assuming this? This is all new to me so please help me out.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Okay, ignore diskwizard... it's bad.

Completely DISCONNECT the WD hard drive. Leave the Seagate as master. Format it and install windows from scratch. Install all drivers. Then re-attach the WD drive and copy your data to the seagate drive.

profit.

3. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

When you say leave seagate as master, you mean plug it into the black slave connector and leave the jumper on CS right?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes:

no, plug it into the master end of the cable, and leave it on master.

5. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

Guess I'll go buy a new copy of windows tomorrow. I wasn't able to find anyone with a hard copy of it even though I have a key on my case. So I need to wipe the new one clean (copied shit like an idiot...rookie mistake) and have bios boot from a new XP cd and install? Got it. Since I only have 2 connections on my IDE cable can I keep the jumpers on CS?

6. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

dont get on your soapbox jolly, just help a NOOB out !!! :x:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can use CS, but I recommend against it.

go to a local shop and get a cd for like $5.... Your key is OEM, so get an OEM CD for the same version. (Home or Pro)

8. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

I've called local shops and everyone thinks it's illegal.

Please tell me why you advise against the CS jumpers when I only have 2 connects?

And even though I've copied ALL files from my original hd how come the new hd wont load windows on its own? Wouldn't it have copied the windows.exe file?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

windows.exe doesn't exist :rolleyes: that's not how it works, anyway. There's the master boot record, which isn't a file you can drag-n-drop.

CS fucks shit up. Stop asking for advice if you won't take it. Do what I say and it will work.

10. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

If I have to install the new hd by itself and load windows fresh onto the hd, should i delete everything I already copied except for the files i want to keep...ie, pictures of my son from my pictures folder?

11. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

holy fuck i'll take your advice. i cant believe how insecure you are you have to e-war every thread. i'm asking questions.

12. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

a person has to ask questions to UNDERSTAND. i'm not arguing or second guessing, i'm merely trying to understand how it all works. Try to help out and not be so aggressive.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have already told you how to do this. you need to FORMAT the drive when you install windows. All files will be lost. Leave the WD drive disconnected until after, then copy files.

14. kilabeez0

kilabeez0 New Member

how do i format the drive before i set the bios to boot from a windows cd?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can format from the windows cd.

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You tell an amazingly to the point walkthrough, considering
    you have tourettes and are insane.

:rofl:

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Every IDE cable has a maximum of three plugs: one to connect to the motherboard and two to connect to the devices. Modern IDE devices can automatically set themselves to Master or Slave (or Primary or Secondary, if you prefer) based on which plug they're connected to, but it's better if you specifically set the devices the way you want. Generally you want the drive with Windows (or Linux) on it to be Master, because the Master drive gets priority when it needs to transfer data.

So...

1. Change the CS setting on both drives. Set the Seagate to Master and the Western Digital to Slave.
    2. Connect the Seagate and leave the WD disconnected for the time being. It can be in the case, or on your desk, just don't plug it in yet.
    3. Turn on your computer and boot up using the Windows Install CD.
    4. Delete any existing partitions on the Seagate drive, create one new partition that uses all of the available space, and install Windows on it.
    5. After Windows is COMPLETELY installed, turn off the computer and plug in the WD drive.
    6. Turn the computer back on, let it detect the WD drive, then proceed to install all the drivers and Windows Updates you need. You should run Windows Update first, unless an important piece of hardware isn't working, because Windows Update will download drivers for you instead of making you have to chase down the newest drivers on each manufacturer's website.

18. deusexaethera

You should always have your computer set to boot in this order:

1. Floppy drive. (because in 1% of situations, it's the only thing that works)
    2. CDROM drive.
    3. Hard drive.

It will take a couple of seconds longer to boot up, but it spares you having to remember to change the boot settings every time you need to boot from a CD. (it happens more often than you might think.)

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Install drivers BEFORE using windows update. Install drivers BEFORE adding second hard drive.

Drivers are the FIRST thing you do after installing the OS, and the chipset driver is the FIRST that you install.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Set it to either:
    1. ODD
    2. HDD

or:

1. HDD

Leave floppy off entirely. you can add it when neccessary. Personally, I have only the HDD enable. Some CDs hijack the system, and that's no good when rebooting. If I want to boot to CD, I'll hit F12.

21. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You have no idea how much it pains me to admit that
    that is a good idea.
    :eek3:

22. deusexaethera

The real issue is that he does this every day for a living, and instead of doing something that doesn't resemble his job on his personal time, he comes in here and antagonizes the noobs that he's required to be nice to during the day.

23. deusexaethera

Oh fuck off. You're only saying it's a bad idea because it's not the way you would do it. Every computer I have is set this way and it works fine. I used to have the HDD boot first, but then I realized that I didn't want to have to fuck with the BIOS every time I needed to boot from a floppy or a CD. This takes care of the problem without getting in the way of normal operation.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually it causes more problems. Some cds will hijack the boot process. My method aviods that.

Your method also can lead to premature failure of the fdd, and will always take longer to boot.

None of that is good.

25. deusexaethera

Let me be more concise: fuck off.

Even the thread starter doesn't want to see you post in his thread anymore. Leave the noob assistance to people with personalities less similar to boiling acid than yours is.