Help with my amp.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Oct 18, 2003.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I was moving some wires around earlier, and when I put the RCA's back into my sub amp, the subs constantly thump. The only time they don't is when I pull up on the part where it connects to the amp. Is there a way to fix this, or do you think I should send the amp back to the factory for repairs? I guess something is lose, but I don't know. I don't want to open the amp up cause I don't know what I would be looking for in there anyway. Any suggestions? The amp is a MTX 2300x.

2. CHiEFTAiN

CHiEFTAiN New Member

:confused:
    I dont understand this part. What do u mean "pull up on the part where it connects to the amp"? there's a few wires and cables that connect to the amp. Could u be a little more specific and tell me which parts of the amp exactly and which wire or cable it is? i might be able to help u out. i use an MTX too.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Where the RCA cable connects to the jack on the amp. If I pull up on the rca cable when it is connected to the amp, at the part where it connects it stops making the noise. I might just have to send it to MTX for repair, as the EBC port on the amp quit working too. I just hate having to pay over $100 to get it fixed, and to be without my bass for a week or two.

4. 04

04 Guest

It sounds like either your rca cable's plugs are broken and making poor contact, or the rca jacks on the amplifier have been broken and are making poor contact with the circuit board. Does the outer shield portion of the RCA conductor touch the amplifier chassis in any way?

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I would bet that it is the amp, the cables are fine. I believe the outer shield part of the rca's do contact the amp chassis, could that be the problem? I use Monster Cable 301's.

6. 04

04 Guest

Yes that is most likely the issue. Try and attach the cables so the shield portion does not touch the chassis and see if the noise is still there.

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The problem is the rca inputs on the amp. When I push in on them, the sound goes away and when I let go it comes back. I am going to call MTX tommorrow and get a RA # so I can send it in for repairs. The EBC(external bass control) port quit working on it a little while back, so that is another reason to send it back. I hate having to spend money on this amp when I would rather get a new amp, but I can't find another amp that is relatively inexpensive that puts out the same power 775 watts RMS bridged 4Ω that is the same size or smaller. I can't fit anything larger in it's current spot. Also, when I called to ask them about the EBC port I inquired about the whining noise it made when the bass hit. They said that it was most likely the power supply, since the amp is about 4 years old it could be getting tired. Do you think they can replace the power supply on the amp, or will they most likely leave it alone since it is still working? I guess I will just have to call them in the morning and see what they say. They said I could trade the amp in for credit towards a new MTX amp, but I don't want to do that.

8. 04

04 Guest

It could be the power supply, I dunno for sure. But if you need an amp that can put out around 800 watts into 4ohms, the JBL 1200.1 should get pretty close to that, and it costs less than 300 new.

However, if you don't have to pay anything to get it fixed, I would definatly just do that.

9. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I just sent the amp back to MTX, it cost $30 to ship it, and $95 for the repair work. It better last me a long time now that I just put another $125 into it. I need to find someone that has a amp I can borrow for about 3-4 weeks, I need bass :wtc:

10. 04

04 Guest

:sad2: yikes dude, I would have said fuck it, and bought a JBL 1200.1 or something, but thats just me.

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Well, I have the matching 4300x, and I am VERY limited on space. It would be very hard to find an amp with that much power @ 4Ω mono that is that small, not that it is really that small anyway, but I don't have much room, or money to work with.

12. Se_12alty

Se_12alty Guest

my amp does the same thing but i have a RF. it's a minor issue w/ rca in the amp. for some reason when they are not alligned right or being pulled, conastant thump will occur. simple solution: try to put something in between the two jacks and electric tape them or zip tie them. it works fine till you move the wire around. good luck.

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I did put something in between them, but that didn't work out so well. I really liked having the remote bass control, so I didn't have too big of a problem sending it back. Hopefully they will fix it up real good and replace some other parts. It just sucks being without my amp/bass for several weeks.

14. 04

04 Guest

Shouldn't MTX warranty the amp for free? How long have you had it for, and how long is the warranty for?

15. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I am not the original owner, I bought the amp used from my friend. He got it at cost from the stereo place he worked at. Besides, I think the warranty is only for three years, and I have had it longer than that.