Help with Linux User permissions/admin rights

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AbortionSurvivor, Jun 21, 2007.

1. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

I have a standard user i created in Fedora.
    The user doesn't seem to be able to do any admin duties (such as ifconfig) without switching to the root user.

I understand that root should be rarely used so my question is how do i give my typical user privileges to admin duties? Is there a group which i should add my user to? If so, which group would that be?

And what if i want my user to be able to create/delete/modify user and group accounts? Is that possible? Or do i always have to use ROOT?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

move him to the root group... though once everything is setup, use sudo or su root

3. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

if i move my user to the root group, isn't that the same as running as 'root'?

i'm not sure if i edited the sudoers file correctly. I basically removed the '#' sign infront the the alias groups.
    example:
    Before
    #%sys ALL = NETWORKING, SOFTWARE, SERVICES, STORES, DELEGATING, PROCESSES, LOCATE, DRIVERS

After:
    %sys ALL = NETWORKING, SOFTWARE, SERVICES, STORES, DELEGATING, PROCESSES, LOCATE, DRIVERS

Then i added my user to the 'sys' group.

is that correct? i did this and i still can't run ifconfig as my user or a sudo user.

4. fsd

fsd New Member

standard users can only run stuff like ifconfig by typing /usr/sbin/ifconfig etc. Their paths are different to a root account iirc