help with laptop/modem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoostedBoogie, Jul 15, 2004.

1. serious answers only please.

trying to get my laptop's 56k modem online. im using juno as an ISP and it'll let me dial into juno's central computers to download data just fine. lets me check my e-mail as well. BUT when i try to connect to the internet (i'm a gold member) it says 'microsoft windows can't detect modem' which is really weird because it works for checking e-mail and stuff. the communications port is com1 and under juno, the modem is connected to com3. that's how it is on my desktop and everything works fine. but for the laptop it doesn't seem to detect the modem. any help please? thanks in advanced.

2. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

So iirc you can dial in fine, but when you try to use a web browser it doesn't work. Does it give you sometype of error when you try to browse? I'm not getting what you mean by laptop doesn't detect modem.

3. oh i can't connect to the web at all. it'll let me check e-mail offline (dials to juno's database), but it wont let me connect to the internet.

4. btw its a 3com 56k mini pci modem, the laptop i have is a dell c600 (latitude) and im using winXP. im going to try to download the latest driver i can find and see if that helps. maybe the old driver doesn't support connecting to the inet?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The only thing I can think of is that you setup IE to ALWAYS dial out a connection (under tools-options-connections) and it's trying to dial a SECOND connection to the internet. Once you log into Juno, you are on the internet.

6. the thing is i can't log into juno web, only their e-mail services.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How old is your laptop? Do you still have a warranty? I'd give tech support a call and see what they say. I've seen a somewhat similar problem before and a new/different modem fixed it.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's dialing though - it's getting through to somewhere and communicating just fine.

9. sorry forgot to mention. juno has two sections, email and web. for email, it dials a number to check. for web, it dials a number to go online. it'll work for email, but not for the web. so it'll dial fine for the email and communicate, just not for the web part of juno.

the laptop was purchased recently over ebay from a business that was off-lease or something. everything is working fine, but i doubt there is any tech support available for it (mostly because a friend of mine is my tech support guy. smart guy.)

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Have you tried different access #'s? That's all I can think of.

Have you called Juno? It may be a problem on their side.

11. hm i'll try that. in a few hours. thanks everyone for your help.